Black Salty's

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by MSgtCatfish, Jul 6, 2008.

Ever used black salty's and what success have you had?

1. Yes, a lot of success

2. Yes, a little bit of success

3. Yes, absolutely no success

4. Nope, never used them

5. Nope and don't plan on using them either

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I looked at some post that were dated back in 2007 so now that time has elapsed and maybe more of you out there have used a black salty I am curious to see if they are the cat's meow like the website states.

So if you have used them, I'd like to hear some feedback on them.

My buddy in SC has used them with some success, he caught a few blues and flatheads on them with an 18 pounder being the biggest cat caught on them.

I know they are easy to keep alive, he ordered 75 or so and he's had his for almost 7 or 8 months in his back yard in a 100 gallon tank and feeds them gold fish and takes what he needs to the lake what he needs when he heads out.

Sound off ...

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    always had better luck on carp about the same size:wink:

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Not having enough time to catch bait and at times the lack of good bait to be found have me thinking of setting up 100 gal tank in the back yard to keep them in , a 7" goldfish (blacksaltie) should make for some good bait can't beet a goldfish for durability and I'm sure there not going to be any different , guess my ? is @ $2.00 a bait how many am I going to get alive after being shipped all the way across the country, ya get 5lb of live fish(40 baits) in 2 gals of water:crazy: got a u tube vid of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9RHnaTnFC8&feature=related

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i voted no and aint going to.as long as they cost more per lb.than gas by the gallon they got to keep my part.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We've tried them one time, with no success. But I feel like no other bait would have produced at that spot at that time either, so I don't consider it a fair trial. I can buy black salties for the same price as small bream, and the salties are extremely hardy. I've still got several that were left over from that fishing trip last fall. They're living in a big plastic storage container out in the driveway. Been there all winter with no care whatsoever.

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    the biggest reason that i'm looking at them for bait is I live 180 miles from the river (colorado) I fish (only place in CA that has flats). So I have 30' trailer keep along the river that I make my way out to on the weekends after work on a fri. nite after a 3hr drive just dont have time to catch bait, so to have bait I can take from home would be a real + on a friday night. Here in CA we are not allowed to transport or keep live gills and other natural baits from the water's there caught in(big fine $1000+). But seeing there Goldfish there is no problem moving them around, the goldfish at the bait shop are just not very dependable, sometimes there to small and sometime none at all, Jerry good to here there that easy to keep in big tank, think I'll be ordering some next week just hope they can make it here to the west coast alive, so I'll be posting on them:wink: already have the tank set up pump running and 10 little gold fish in the tank to see how they take to the tank and there still alive so something must be right:roll_eyes:

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Man,
    I would have thought more people would have tried the black salties... I want to, I just wish they would send smaller orders... I can't keep that many bait fish alive during an AZ summer..

* I think the only area I would be able to legaly use them would be in Blythe or Yuma and that is a long haul to transport that many fish...

~A

Dale,
    If you ever put in an order, let me know and I will try to come out and help you use 'em up..

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have only used them once. a guy from kansas and i bought a dozen and went below the dam on lake texoma. we caught 3 bluecats and 4 nice stripers with them. i don't buy a lot of bait, so it may be a while before i use them again. they did work on this outing.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used them one time on the red river. the river was way up and fast, and i couldn't get bait anywhere. i caught one fish, a blue just under 10 pounds. the bait was killed by the current, so i slit its belly and punched the hook through the head between the eyes. i say small carp would be way better for bait, and dang near free!

10. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
  11. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i have used them you get plenty alive .very few dead very few. they are a cross between a carp and a gold fish .i just think natural bait works best if not just use gold fish .

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I think the thing that sets the black salties apart from the standard comet goldfish, or the regular feeders is the fact that you can choose the size of baits you want... At the bait shops, you are subject to what they have in.. Or when I try to catch carp for bait, I usually cannot find anything that is small enough to use for live bait..

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As I understand it, while they are related to the common goldfish, they have been developed to be different in that they can live in either fresh or salt water.