black saltys?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by flatheadslayer, Dec 1, 2009.

1. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i have used regular gold fish with great success,on flatheads,and they are easy to keep alive.But a friend owns a pawn/bait shop and is thinking about getting black saltys instead of gold fish.i have seen them on you tube but have never used them.

Has anyone ever fished with black saltys and what are your oppinions of them?

2. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well i sell bait have seen them never used the had a guy who was a tx guy tell me he kept some just in case everything else died been told they catch fish but here they overnite them and they r not cheap so i would not buy or use them been told they live frever bob

3. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Preston I used them on strippers and they worked well. I have never tried them on cats.

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have used them for cats live and cut no luck an used them striper fishn a few times they work but not as good as shinners for stripers they are wery tuff thats a plus may work well for flatheads havent tried them in a lake that has flattys

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    used them at santee last year and not a bite on them all day but bites on other baits.

6. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    I guess what i should have ask is how they do compared to goldfish?

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I used a dozen black saltys at 1 dollar each and large chubs and caught
    fish jug fishing all night long. At daylight I unhooked and turned loose
    11 black saltys. I either had one bite or it got off on its own. In answer
    to your question I think black saltys are a waste of money for catfishing.
    For me chubs or gold fish are much much better.

8. festus

festus New Member

Interesting thread, flatheadslayer. I've never heard of a black salty until now. I just googled and found a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9RHnaTnFC8

These black saltys look like the same baitfish we used when I was growing up, the Baltimore Minnow. We always bought them because they were so much hardier than tuffies or shiners. We bought the 2" to 2-1/2" ones and used them for crappie. In those days it was easy to go out and catch 100 crappie per outing. I'd tie on 2 small hair jigs and bait each jig with a minnow, cast out under a float. They were effective on crappie, but I can't remember if we caught any cats on them or not, but remember largemouth will hit them. So I'm not sure if a Baltimore is the same as a salty, but they look alike.

9. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I've tried them once.... I need to try them a little more to make a good decision. They do stay alive well, but so do regular goldfish. The ones that I tried were the small variety. I would have liked to have tried the extra large ones.

The day I tried them, I didn't catch anything, but I didn't catch anything on other baits so I really don't have anything to base a good opinion on.

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have never tried goldfish only the saltys maybe you should get both an try them :wink:

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    never heard of em..looked up soem pics...seems like theyd work...i dunno..i dont have any luck with reg goldfish

12. festus

festus New Member

Everytime I use goldfish I can't catch anything but those old trashy largemouth bass. :confused2:

13. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I've caught a bunch of flatheads up to 30 pounds on black salty's. I have some in my tank right now for the tournament tonight.