Black Salty

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BILLYP, Jan 30, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Has anyone heard of this new minnow
    The Black Salty.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yes and they work rather well. They look like a gray goldfish but they will live for along time in a bucket. I had some I kept for at least 6 weeks just in a bucket of water.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    r they salt or freshwater bait fish?
    where did u order them from?

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They are great! I caught my PB flathead last year on one. I have used them for a couple of years now. They are nothing more than a hybrid goldfish and carp. Some of them look just like small carp, especially the smaller ones.

They are excellent bait, and will stay alive forever, both on the hook, and in the bucket. They are strong swimmers too! They will give you a fricken heart atack if you are using a light weight, jerk your rod around every once in a while!:tounge_out:

5. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    how big are they

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They have them in all the bait shops around here, usually they are cheaper than gold fish and especially cheaper than perch. They come in sizes from 3" to 6" for the most part.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I've had good and bad experiences with them, good for channels but not as good for blues.Its probably just because I dont put much time into fishin with them.I'm guilty of not giving a new bait a chance and wanting to use what I always use.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You might think I'm crazy, but the black saltys and live in saltwater too.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Salties are a member of the carp family, just like gold fish. They are hardy, there are four live ones in my bait bucket that have been there 2 weeks. The have a pretty good smell to them when you cut them for cut bait.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have seen the black salties at the bait shop, but i was wondering if they were just a regular black goldfish or something else. does anybody know the 'literal' name of this baitfish?

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    From my understanding they are a hybred of some sort. I know they live longer than any other baitfish I've used.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I wonder if those are what we call Israeli carp around here? If so,their great bait.I caught several flatties on them last year.22.7lbs was the biggest from them.

13. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Been looking and it looks like the Black Salty, is nothing more than a goldfish that was bred back towards it's original form.
    John, the Black Salty is Carassius carassius, and the Israeli carp is Cyprinus Carpio. They are both cyprinids, and can interbreed.
    Will

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    LakeNormanBlues uses them a bunch; PM him.

I have used them and they are a tough live bait. You can fish them a good while without killing them. I have only used them with Mac since no one around here sells them.

15. nalley1952

nalley1952 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Not many bait shops around here carry them. I've heard good things about them.

16. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You guys have got me interested in these Black Saltys, anybody know if they are sold up here in Indiana? I noticed most of you guys posting are from southern states and I wonder if bait suppliers get them here.

17. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The balck salty to my knowledge is a minnow/carp hybrid bait. I have been using them when i go to Kansas for the past 2 years for cats and wipers (hybrid bass) and they work very well and are tough baits compared to the normal shiners. Too bad the bait shops around my area do not carry them, I would definitely buy them.

18. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    You are right in that they are a minnow/goldfish/carp mixed and will live longer on a hook just like goldfish. I have a hactery 5 miles from my house who handle them and i get all they can get over 6". Last season they had a good many around the 10" range and are great live bait for big blues. They are also easy to keep . I house them in a old chest freezer with a pond pump running for air and have had them in there for weeks at a time. They also grow fast like a goldfish. if you feed them right you can see 1 or 2" in just about a month.