Black Salty baitfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by blackwaterkatz, Sep 9, 2007.

Black Salty Bait Fish Survey

1. I have used them with little success

2. I have used them with mediocre success

3. I have used them with great success

4. Have used them but would not recommend them

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've noticed a number of references to catfish being caught in my state on Black Salties, a relatively new (to me) bait fish that is offered by apparently only a few bait shops around. I think they were developed in California. Next time I'm near a shop that sells them, I think I may pick up enough for a trial, but would like to know if anyone used these baits, and what are your experiences with them?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Are those also known as Israeli carp? It seems like I was told that once on here. If so,I love using them for catfish bait. They are very hardy and bleed a good bit.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I find them more than Extra-large shiners around here now. Most places stopped carrying the really big shiner around here because they would die before they could sell them. The ones I've bought aren't as big as I would really like but they do the job pretty well. In the times of the year were throwing a cast net isn't a good idea like in the dead of winter I buy black saltys or when i can't catch bait easily.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

They look similar but are not the same. Israelis are a whole lot cheaper also.
    Thanks for the info!

5. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i never heard of black salties do you buy them alive or frozen or what help me out here:eek:oooh:

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, according to the website, they are shipped live overnight, but there are a very few bait shops around the santee cooper lakes that are selling them. Those shops are, of course, the ones who are touting the catches made on them. I'm just curious as to how effective they are, compared to other baits like herring or shad. Might make good flathead bait if they stay alive as well as the literature suggests.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    The bait shops around here carry them pretty much all the time. I know the store in Kelly SC has them and the store at Cedar Creek has them usually. I haven't seen them frozen anywhere yet just alive in the tanks. The site that Tommy mentioned is the kind we have here.

8. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks you 2 this helps alot coming from 2 guys in the same area i am i will try them one day for flatheads ill cut them up for channel and use them like shiners for bass once again thanks:wink:

9. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Where in Gaffney do you live? I have some family in Gaffney. Would like to pick some of those Salty's up when I go. How do you get to those bait shops you where talking about?

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I haven't used them, Tommy, but I'll be waiting to see what others say.

BTW - I picked up a couple of the new fish ruller stickers for you. I'll give them to Bill P's crew so they can get them to you.

When are we gonna hit the Santee together? I could maybe do it in this weekend or next?

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    black salties work well. they are a type of goldfish that has been bred to live in fresh water, but they will also be able to survive in salt water for 5 or 6 hours, so they are an awesome all around bait. they are easy to care for last longer, and will stay livelier on a hook (compared to shad or other bait fish) the only downfall is that they are kind of expensive.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, John. We got some rulers in at our office Friday, so don't worry abut that. As for fishing, I'll be at the Lake Murray BOC Meat n Greet this saturday, but might very well be available for a trip the following week, if you're game.

13. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    check your state laws. in the state of florida you cannot use them in fresh water. so check your state laws.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    It's legal in South Carolina to use them in freshwater, in case anybody was wondering.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have used them in the tx panhandle lakes, and the red river below texoma. all in all i got one run on a 5 incher in the river. no hook up, so i don't know what it was. have fished them side by side with carp and bream and bullheads. they were outfished every time. this is just my experience though.