black rock dam?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by readingcatfisher, Jul 26, 2008.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    anyone have any advice for me I'm gonna hit valley forge national park in the slack pool above black rock dam I have read that there's monster channels and flatties there I won't be going there until next week

2. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Where is the dam in Valley Forge?

3. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm not sure exactly where the dam is but I've read there are flatties in there at valley forge national park if anyone from down that way can give me any insight on that it would be greatly appreciated

4. Romo

Romo Active Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    your first name
    I know 2 guys who fish that pool a lot and have success with flats up to 25 lbs. Not sure about those bait stealin channies

5. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    I have been through Valley Forge park a few times, where is the Pool that you are talking about, the most I have seen is some real shallow river areas.

Thanks..

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    My crew and I fished there quite a few times in 2006. No bigguns, nice medium fish in the 12-18lbs were prevalent.

Most pressured flathead hole on the Skuke.

Too many yokels with Wal-Mart spinning gear launching half dead bluegills using an 2 oz egg sinker in the middle of ripping current.

7. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Sounds like fun to me:roll_eyes:.

8. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I am looking to catch some decent fish any advice on some good spots

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Directly below the dam, there are 2 walls you can fish off. Just follow the canal all the way up to the parking lot.

Fish off the wall and cast the sunny into the boils below the dam at night. Make sure you use enough weight to hold bottom. I used 6 oz weights.

Remeber, it's highly pressured and if you want to secure a spot, get there early.

Bring bug spray too! The mosquitoes are the size of robins up there.

10. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Blacky,

I was up there looking around a few weeks ago. I parked in the lot and walked up to where all the kids were jumping off below the dam. Is this the place that you are talking about or is there someother spot back in farther. I also seen several people actually fishing in the canal along the entry road as well as where the lauch site is for kayaks, it seemed real shallow there.

Any insight would be great. I fish from shore, my yougest son loves to go out for the night and i am always looking for a good spot.

Thanks for your help

11. Romo

Romo Active Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    your first name
    Scott,

If you walked up to the dam, you were right at the fishin hole. Did you have to jump down a wall and walk over a spillway? If so, then yea you were there. As Tan said, there are a ton of people that fish that spot, the bugs are brutal, and I've never seen one over 20 lbs come out of there. However, the average size is good (10lb+), and to a kid a 10lber looks like a monster.

I'm not sure if much has changed since I was there last summer, as I know they are constructing a fish ladder, but the basic premise remains the same. You have to use a heavy weight even under normal flows, and cast your gills out right along the boil at the base of the dam after dark. Its snaggy, so be prepared to lose some rigs. I haven't heard a report out of there all summer, so let us know what happens if you go!

12. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    I di walk back to where all kids were jumping off but did not go across to the otherside, there must have 30 kids fooling around there.

I may go ack out there and scout around on the otherside like you have suggested, I drive by there once a week or so.

Thanks for the information.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    That's how we find our honey holes by scouting around and trial and error.

Be careful fishing those walls with younger children. It is at an incline and not very safe for little kids to be around escpecially at night.

The side with the construction is alot more snaggier than the side with the canal.

14. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Blacky,

Thanks for the heads up on the dam... my son is 14 so it's but I don't like to fish were is alot of other people anyway.