Black River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by flatheadfisher, Jan 30, 2008.

1. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey,

Does anyone know about the cats in the Black River in Pender County? I have a chance to lease some land with river frontage and I didn't know if there was a good population of cats there or not.

2. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Flatheadfisher,
    Good fishin in the Black River for sure for cats! I stay in Pender county not too far from the Ivanhoe area.I have bream fished the Black a few times with much success.But I have a few friends that do very well on the cats in that river.I would give it a try .Good luck :big_smile_2:

3. flatheadfisher

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the input, TC!

I figure it has a good population of blues and flatheads. But, I haven't heard of anyone fishing it.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    There sure is, but that river is treacherous. There's a lot of shallow shoals and a bunch of timber down in the water. At least the sections of the river that I've fished. I've only bass fished in the Black River, but from what I hear and from the looks of the river itself it should be pretty good.

5. flatheadfisher

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the info! I am looking forward to learning this river! I will let you all know what I learn!

6. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have fished the black river once for cats for about thirty minutes and caught one 5 lb channel cat i just got my canoe this winter so havnt got to fish it during the season i have heard from many people that the black river is awesome for bass fishing and as soon as they start spawning im gonna be in there just about everyday

7. flatheadfisher

State:
    NC
    That sounds good. I have a kayak that I would like to fish out of. It looks like the Black River might be a good place. Are there places to get away from big boats? Or, are there even any big boats there? I will be in the Currie area.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    There aren't many "big" boats. All I've ever seen is jon boats in the Black River, but you may see the occasional bass boat that comes down from Castle Hayne.