Black River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Dec 4, 2005.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Well, I tried to fish Lake Moultrie on Wed, 11/30. Backed down the ramp and floated boat off trailer just before daybreak, noticed the boat was moving around a little in the water - landing is protected from lake winds by a bulkhead. When I stepped out of the truck and walked back to the boat, a wave broke over the seawall, and I decided it might not be a bad idea to load the boat back on the trailer and see what was going on (wind was forecast n-w @10-15). I pulled back up the ramp where I could see the open water as day broke, and it looked like water sloshing around in a tub, left over from the previous day's winds, I guess.
    Anyway, I've been wanting to fish the Black River for quite some time, so I decided to check it out, drove another 55 miles and put in. I spent the first part of the morning traveling about 25 miles of river checking out deep holes, etc. This section is affected by tides, and at full tide and no current, I fished several places with very little luck, only a few small bites, finally went back upstream where fresh water was running from recent rains. The current produced 4 channels 1-6 lbs. There are some holes up to 40' that show promise, and I hope to fish there some more in the future.

2. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    tommy smart move you can never be to careful on moultree by the way whear is the black river. i will be coming down this wk or first of the next if the wether will cooperate. see you soon

3. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ron, the Black River runs N-W to S-E from above Sumter, and ends at the coast in Winyah Bay at Georgetown. It is a true black water river, stained with tannin from the leaves, they say, mostly shallow and narrow until it widens out some 30+ miles from Georgetown. It merges with the Great Pee Dee a few miles above Georgetown. I comes as close as 2 miles or less from my home, but I don't fish it very much, especially for catfish, but I intend to try it a lot more. I grew up mostly fishing the lower Santee River, and never really learned the Black.
    We've got pretty windy condtions on the Lakes today, but it's supposed to calm down later. I've been debating whether to give Moultrie another try in the morning. People have been catching a lot of fish lately near the dam, from what I'm told and read on a local website, but some of the best catches appear to be tied to current flow through the turbines. Cut herring seems to be working best, but also some catches on perch and menhaden, as well as dip baits.
    Good Luck when you come down, I haven't seen a long-range forecast, but hopefully it will stay good for you. I plan to make a trip up to the Murphy, NC area in the next few days, don't know exactly when, so I'll be out of town a few days, but plan to be back by week-end if possible.

4. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    I have never had much luck with anything over 10lbs in the Black. I did catch a couple of nice ones were Peters creek enters the Black. There is some good red breast fishing around there though.

5. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, Steve, how's it going? Good to hear from you.
    I haven't fished Black River specifically for cats, so I don't know exactly what to expect. I know a young fellow that fishes trotlines there in the Brown's Ferry area, and catches a lot, don't know about the size though. I do know down around Georgetown in the Pee Dee & Waccamaw, there are some pretty big cats caught. A friend of mine fishes for them sometimes just below the bridges and catches 20-25 # regularly. I saw a guy at the South Island Ferry landing (very brackish water) recently catch about a 25 pounder, looked like a blue. The guy only had one arm and was trying to hold the rod with the stump while he got his net out, and the fish broke off before he could net it. I've heard stories of some real big cats caught along there; the shrimpers cull their catches along that area, maybe that's why.
    Stay in touch, friend. Btw, did you get that motor running right yet?

6. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    I'm suppose to be going for another test run today, evertime we take it out he has to do something else. I think he ruined my motor!

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Steve, I know you must be terribly frustrated, buddy. I hope something good will come along real soon, and get that motor straightened out.