Black River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by outdoorX, May 5, 2009.

1. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    went out this weekend on the black and had a blast in all we caught quite a few fish. only two blue cats the rest were flatheads.. caught them mostly shallow but did catch some on inside bend of main river. for you who know what im talking about we went up into birds cove and caught one that was 19.4 and another that was 15. caught a 35.7 lber at raccon island. caught three fish this weekend that was under 5 pounds all the rest were over 9. used nothing but live bream. i had a blast.

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That's a heck of a trip there man! One of these days I'm going to have to get out on the Black River for a catfishing trip. I've bass fished it a few times and it really looks good for cats though.

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i keep trying to get up with a friend that has a ramp up there on black river would like to go u send nite or weekend fishing it

4. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well man i dont know how much time you have spent onthe black but let me tell you it aint a very forgiving river to run. theres alot of sunken trees that if you dont know where there at will totally screw you up. i already ripped a transom out of the very first boat i had from trying to learn the river. Now i know about every stump and tree there is and where the sandbars are. but if i was you i would definetly go slow my first 10 times out. as for boat ramp well i see them all the time but most of them are personel. i know there is a public one between atkins and the tradding post. but unless you can tiller your motor way up your big boat may have a few problems. i even have problems when i run my 15 up there because the motor is a long shank. but i have learned how to ride my own wake so i can float over sand bars.

5. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thought id try and put some pictures up of the cats we been catching out of the black. so far we have caught a 19.9,29, 35.7, 32, and 42.3 pound flathead. all with in the 3 weekends, the 35 pounder came off of rod and reel and the rest off of bush hooks. most of them out of the same cove.

Attached Files:

6. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Them are some nice fish kyle!!

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Awesome fish Kyle! I'd love to catch that 40lber on the end of my line that's for sure.

8. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hear you man. catching them hogs are what makes fishing and waiting all that time worth it. dont know what id do if i got to the point where thats all i caught. i think id have to move to fishing for bass LOL NOT.

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Hey now, easy on the bass fisherman:wink:

10. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    one heckuva trip man!!! congrats on sum fine fine fish!!! keep on hammering

11. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    "went out this weekend on the black and had a blast in all we caught quite a few fish. only two blue cats the rest were flatheads.. caught them mostly shallow but did catch some on inside bend of main river. for you who know what im talking about we went up into birds cove and caught one that was 19.4 and another that was 15. caught a 35.7 lber at raccon island. caught three fish this weekend that was under 5 pounds all the rest were over 9. used nothing but live bream. i had a blast."

"thought id try and put some pictures up of the cats we been catching out of the black. so far we have caught a 19.9,29, 35.7, 32, and 42.3 pound flathead. all with in the 3 weekends, the 35 pounder came off of rod and reel and the rest off of bush hooks. most of them out of the same cove."

OutdoorX,
    Just a word of advice, bush hooks and live bait do not mix. In the state of North Carolina that is illegal.

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Pretty sure that was one trip he was talking about in the first post and all those came on rod and reel when he was using the live bream. Those others he didn't specify what he was using.

13. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Not trying to start no crap but just trying to keep a fellow catfisherman out of trouble.

14. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    blue cat is right i should have specified. that weekend was all rod and reel. the limb lines are baited with the bream that we kill after a night of fishing with lines. perfect size live bream are to hard to catch to be throwing on a bush hook.