Black River???

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by outdoorX, Jan 12, 2009.

1. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am a newbie on this site and i have been trying to look up if anyone has any input on the black river that runs from white lake south into willmington. actually it joins the cape fear right above willmington. I have spent hundreds of hours fishing there for the last 3 years with minumin luck. Can i get some input on how to fish tidal rivers?

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    First off welcome to the BOC man!

I haven't fished the Black River for catfish although I have bass fished it several times. It looks really good especially for flatheads, but that season is over until probably around March or so. Tidal water may seem intimidating at first but don't let it get ya down. Basically the direction of the tide doesn't matter from what I've found but what you do need is good current. If the water isn't moving good the bite is going to be slow no matter what direction it's going in. When you find yourself in slack water try running up or down river a couple miles and you'll find moving water again. Good baits for up that way is pretty much anything as crazy as that sounds. Bream, crappie, eels, shad will all work well. We've had our best luck on eels and shad in the Cape Fear so I know it'll work in the Black River. The stuff to look for is the deeper holes, humps, and drop offs and if you mark fish on it even better. Also look for log jams (more important during flathead season) as these serve as current breaks. Creek mouths can be good as well and it doesn't have to be a big creek to attract fish either. Well, hope some of this helps!:wink:

3. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC!

The Black River used to be good for catfishing around Ivanhoe, but since Shocking is legal there the catfish population has gone down hill the last few years. Go to the Neuse one time and you will be going back I promise no matter how far it is from you. It's about 45 min from me but it is worth it.
    Good Luck!

4. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey guys i apprieciate the help. i have fished current alot an i just cant ever get lines to stick on bottom. lol i use 5 ounce lead. but they eventually roll. You have any good ideas on a rig that can let me go into a log jam an have a good chance of not snagging up??
    Now i have fished the neuse. heck you ever catch a white 10' ft ugly stick with a abu bait caster let me know. the fish on the other end was big enough to rip it straight outa my hands an that aint no little feat. but i have to say i drive an hour to the black almost every weekend an its 2 an a half to the neuse. i jus dont make that kinda money all the time. but i will agree the fishing is awasome up there.

5. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    No-roll sinkers or flat weights about 4 to 5 oz. above a swivel then about a 8" leader then your 8 or 9" circle hook.