Black River & Sutton Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by flatheadfisher, Mar 10, 2008.

1. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I am going to be down on the Black River next week. I have a hunting lease near Currie on the Black River. I haven't fished that area before. I keep hearing about catching Shad but I don't know anything about that kind of Shad. How does one catch these and are they in that river or is that something that is just done at the dams? I also thought about trying Sutton Lake. But, I will be fishing out of my kayak because I can't bring my boat and my ATV. I will need the ATV to scout for Turkeys on the hunting lease. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I am not looking for anyones honey holes, just general tips that might speed up my learning curve. That is especially important since I will be in the kayak and won't be able to cover lots of water. Thanks!

2. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I didn't get to try Sutton because it was too windy. But, the Black River worked out pretty well. I didn't have any luck catching shad. The squid and shrimp were a good backup. I caught lots of little fish below 10 pounds. But, only two over 10 - a 16 and a 28, both blues. It is fun when a 28 pound blue cat pulls you and the kayak downstream the unstream and then back again. I didn't catch any flatheads but I didn't have live bait either. Not bad considering I was only fishing two rods out of the kayak.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like a pretty good time to me! That's bigger than my biggest blue to date...:sad2:

4. razorback

razorback New Member

State:
    Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    Sutton can be a bear in the wind for sure..