Black River Report 7/5/06

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Arkie55, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I got on Black River today around 12:00 noon. Really didn't expect to catch much but I had the itch to fish so I went. At 1:30 pm I set up on a deep hole. I normally set up at the head of the hole but today I positioned my boat to fish the core of the hole because I expected the fish to be in a neutral (at best) mode. I loaded on rod up with a fresh gill head and the other with a fresh shad head. I less than five minutes I had a strong run on the gill head. I locked the reel and circle hook done it's job. Took about five minutes to land the fish and I was surprised to find a 15# Blue had taken the gill head. I rebaited the rod with the mid section of the same gill and tossed it back into the same spot. Ten minutes passed and the rod loaded up and the clicker started screaming. I again locked the reel and the circle hook again done it's job. I had another good fish on. This one took a little longer to land because it got into the other line. I netted the Blue and estimated it to go around 12lbs. The only other fish I caught today was a big long nose gar. I don't know exactly how big because I didn't get him in the boat. I did get it to the boat and seen the fish several times. Estimate the gar was around 50" long. Loads of fun. I considered today a pretty good trip considering the time of day and limited time to fish.

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Terry, That sounds like a GOOD day to me. Congratulations.

ST

3. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    good day for sure terry !!!!!!!! the black must be a pretty good fishing hole ................. seems to me some of the tunica crew may need to come up and help out with all them fish up there............ nothing like a good seining to make a fishing hole better down the road !!!!!! by the way, i love garmeat:roll_eyes: !!!!!!!!!

4. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    hey terry,you did better than i did today. caught 1 small gar and no cats. having trouble outta casey's motor. carburators. i finally got me a 16'48" sea ark,3 seats with livewell and im putting a 40 horse evinrude e-tec on it. only problem wont be able to get the motor for another week . good luck fish'n. robbie

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey Coach,
    The Tunica crowd is welcome to hit the Black with me anytime. It is a pretty good fishing hole. Not many Blues but it seems like the ones there are pretty good fish. Real good population of Flats and Channel. Plenty of Gar too.

Robbie,
    That boat and motor sounds like a deal to me. I got a hankering for a new boat. I know you're just setting on pins and needles waiting for that motor. Be sure and give us a report as soon as you get to wring her out.