Black River fishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bigcatattack, Jun 18, 2008.

1. bigcatattack

bigcatattack New Member

State:
    nc
    Anybody have any info on catfishing the Black River near or around Bladen and Sampson counties. Curious to know If I can expect to catch any large cats there . Also, what are the average depths of the water... Id hate to travel a couple of hours and have to reload the boat to go somewhere else.....thanks

2. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    at henrys landing which is in bladen county almost in sampson. the water is pretty low people in john boats are getting around alright. i would say the average depth is about 7 ft in the bends probably 12' that first bend out of henrys landing down stream is deep 33'. ive heard of some nice cats comin out of there. i wne tlast weekend twice fishing for bream and doin a little catfishing along the way i got about a 10 and 5 lb blue nothing big but people say there in there i just havnt fished it enough to know for my self you will have no problem catching brim for bait if thats what you plan on using. man even if you dont catch any huge cats it is a beautiful river. ill be hitting it this weekend again

3. bigcatattack

bigcatattack New Member

State:
    nc
    I appreciate the helpful info. Maybe I'll see ya out there the weekend....

4. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ill be in a 16' red old town canoe if you see me

5. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Have a friend that use to fish Red Star (the old fish camp I believe??) and around that area.And he also fishes up around the thourough fair,where Black River meets up with the Cape Fear I believe and he has caught some awesome fish over the years.I don't fish through there hardly enough to know the water depths but I do duck hunt it :wink:.Anyway,hope you do well when ya go.Be safe.

Timber

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a lot of good advice, this is what makes the site so valuable

7. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the average depth now is like 2 ft but still deep enough in the bends

8. bigcatattack