Black Powder Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 6, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had a great set-up for a big Buck yesterday....I thought. I was in the tree at 5:00am, an hour before daylight, had my Tinks 69 all set up, and figured the rut was close enough to have the bucks chasing Does all day long. I sat there freezing until 10:30 without seeing a deer. I was just about to get down and try the other side of the property when I heard some turkeys calling from up the mountain behind me. Them another called below me about 50 yards away. Suddenly the ones above me started flying down and landing all around me. I usually don't mess up a deer hunt fooling with turkeys but I figured, "What the hay?" I took a bead on one, pulled the trigger and heard a CLICK. Oh no, the cap didn't go off. I cocked the gun again, pulled the trigger again and it went POP. The cap fired but not the charge. D@$# it! I struggled with cold fingers and finally got the old cap off and a new one on the nipple, found a bird, and BOOM! That's when the miracle happened. That turkey I had just shot, suddenly healed up and walked away! I went for my Quick Loads, poured the powder from one of them down the barrel, went for the ram rod and dropped the Quick Load (with the bullet still in it) out of the tree, which scared off a couple more birds. I grabbed another Quick Load, poured the powder out on the ground, and finally got another bullet down the barrel. Somehow, with all this activity, there was still a turkey in a tree down below me. (I think it must have been a blind turkey.) I got him in my sights, took a deep breath, and BOOM! He was dead before he hit the ground. At that point, I was sure glad it was a turkey I was shooting at. I don't think a buck would have waited around to see what that fool in the tree was gonna do next!

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Billie,great story!!!!:lol: Now put yourself back in the good old days and imagine that a very angry Indian warrior with ,knife and tomahawk has decided that he has had enough of your trespassing on his sacred hunting grounds,PLUS he is tired of his Squaw bitching about having to look at the same old scalps hanging around the teepee.He is ten yards away when you pull the trigger and you hear click.:eek:oooh: :sad2: :embarassed: :roll_eyes: Oh well at least the teepee will have a new decoration!!!!!Thank God those weren't hostile turkeys.I know those primitive weapons are fun but for me putting the powder inside a shell casing with the primer and bullet all together represents real progress.:lol: On one Indian reservation in Arizona ,which had fabulous hunting, the Native Americans all carried center fire rifles,but all outsiders were required to use bows during one of the seasons.Always got a kick out of that.:smile2: Other than that sounded like a pretty normal hunt to me.

3. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Way to go Bill.Sounds like your hunt paid off afterall.thx for posting.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Billie thanks for the story. I love those blackpowder guns. Noted; you still brought home the meat.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen

6. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Great post Willie...thought it was just me that fumbled. Jim I'm still wondering who/what you took out when you tossed that Randall off the mountain. It could be inches deep in a boulder, like Excalibur.
    :smile2:

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Billie,
    That was a great story! I've got one to share with everyone, but it will have to wait til I get out of work. I'll log on later.
    Sparky

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well I told you I had a story, so here it is.
    I consider myself some what of a major league squirrel hunter. As a matter of fact, I usually get about 50 squirrels a season. After I shoot 40 squirrel with my rifle, I switch to my .32cal muzzel loader. I'm sure by now you all know where this is going.
    Anyways, I've set out in the squirrel woods with my smoke pole to see if I can rustle up a few bushytails for the freezer. I'm sneaking quitely through the woods, when low and behold, there is a little critter just 12 yards away just sitting there minding his own business giving me a great broadside shot at his head. I raise my trusty .32 and put that bead right on his eye. Steady now, KA - POW! When the smoke cleared, I couldn't believe my eyes. I miss a 12 yd. shot. Not only did I miss, but the little rascle sat right there and didn't move. I thought to myself, do I reload. Hell, why not. I'm scrambling in my pockets for powder, patch and ball. In the mean time the little fella moved to about 25 yds. and sat at the base of a big Oak tree. I didn't want to move much for fear he would run up the tree and disappear. So off hand at 25yds. I put the bead on his head for the second time. Breath easy now, KA -POW, the fire and smoke belched out of the end of my smoke pole and when it cleared, another clean miss. This time the squirrel climbed up the tree about 15ft. and just stayed there. What would the odds be on him staying there for a reload? Slim to none I thought, but what the heck, I was out here to hunt I had all the time in the world, and besides, I had to reload the gun anyway. By the time I reloaded, that stupid squirrel was still hanging on to the side of the tree on a suiside mission, and I was the one to help him out. I move in 5yds. so I could lean against a small tree to help me out a little bit. So, there I was, thinking to myself this is the third shot this guy has offered me with a muzzel loader. I mean think about it, you don't usually get that many chances with a repeater. So for the third time I take careful aim at the back of my quarries head. KA -POW!!!!!!
    I'm sure you now where thiis is going right. You guess it! After the smoke cleared. There was a spot on the tree where my ball lodged deep in the Oak, just above where the squirrels head was. He scampered up the tree a bit and stopped. I looked at him a minute, wished him well, and turned around and walked away. It just wasn't my day!
    The good thing about the day I had fun and a great story to tell. After the woods calmed down after an hour or so, I did mang.to get four squirrels all in the head. So, as it turned out it was a Great day.
    I hope you all enjoyed.
    Sparky

10. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Willie, whenever all that dropping and fumbling happens just make sure you don't double load that muzzle loader!!!!:big_smile:

11. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I learned that lesson the hard way. I had just shot a deer with my Hawken and was in a hurry to reload. Instead of measuring the powder, I just poured some out of my powder horn and "guesstimated". When I found the deer dead, I emptied the gun. It must have had 300-350 grains in it! It blew the hammer back so hard that it broke the hammer & spring. I was using real Black Powder then and it seemed like it took an hour and a half for the smoke to clear. LOL