Black powder, Pyrodex, shelf life?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by bootshowl, Aug 11, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey folks, got some Pyodex pellets that are two years old. Been dry and stored well. I know smokeless powder is good for years, but realized, don't know about BP or subs....what's the word.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't know the shelf life of pyrodex. However I have a few cans of 3F blackpowder that is sealed and stored in the dry. This powder is still good after many years of storage.:smile2:

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to use the pellets and it stayed good for years. A pack of 100 I think? It would last me 3-4 seasons. I bought some powder last year 3lbs on clearance and hope it stays good for that long.

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Last year my son and myself shot off some Pyrodex that was at least 4 years old(can had been opened originally), didn't notice any problems. I use GOEX now but haven't let it get old:big_smile:.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Something I always do !!! Load up some of your stored stuff and shoot a round from a bench. The shoot some new and take not of difference! Dont take a chance of missing a buck or whatever of lifetime on old powder! Kinda like headed out boating with no gas station for 50 miles with 2 year old gas in your tank!!:smile2::tounge_out: