Black powder cap sizes

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by elalr, Mar 23, 2007.

1. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I got a new 44 cal. black powder pistol and kit for christmas but the #10 caps dont fit the nipples very well. Are #11 caps larger? or is there a larger cap for a better fit? thanks

2. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Larry the smaller the # the smaller the size cap.

The cap is suppose to have a tight fit once it's put on the nipple. If the cap is loose it will back off the nipple and possably fire when the cylinder is turned. Then you will be in big bad trouble. Can you imagine how it would feel if one of the cylinders was fired while not aligned with the barrel....bye bye hand ! !

When the correct size cap is put on the nipple it should be very difficult to remove the cap...actually almost impossable without ruining the cap.
    When the cap is fired the cap will expand and come off easily.

Before you load your new black powder pistol make sure the the cylinder properly aligns with the barrel at every station of rotation. Then place a cap on one nipple and try firing the pistol....one nipple at a time ...don't put a cap on all the nipples or all of them will go off....after firing each cylinder individually.... then you can load one cylinder with the proper amount of powder....black powder only!!!!! then seat the bullet. After going through the routine again loading and firing all cylinders one at a time then you can load all the cylinders and make sure you seal the eand of each cylinder with wax or Crisco or some other heavy grease to keep one cylinder causing another one to fire as a chain reaction.

Jesse

3. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    well i thought they were too small because they would not go on the nipple very well at all. also I would have to pull the hammer back and pull the trigger at least twice to get it to fire. they are the same way on my 50 cal rifle. is there any other cause for this and thanks for your help and advice.

4. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    The caps should start easily on the nipple then get tight as pushed on.

If your caps have become damp they won't fire very well. Just like with the powder....always keep dry.

I have found that the CCI caps are a hotter and better cap than most others.

Jesse