Black Perch for Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I think black perch are the best bait for flathead there is around. I have had realy good luck with it in the past. I would recomend them to anyone who has never tried them.

2. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    never seen a black perch before....got any pics of one?

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I'm with the mad kater, do you have any pics of this. I doubt they are native to our waters here though...

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah, i'd like to see also. ive seen yellow perch, white perch, and ocean perch but no black perch.

5. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I've used black perch on limb lines and throw lines alot when I was young. They just seem to be hard to find now. Don' t know why unless to much competition with gills and other fish. I did have a few in my pond but haven't caught one in a while. If I can catch one I'll take a photo. They look about the same ( body shape) as yellow perch,just mostly black.They may look a little different in different water color,or regions of the country.They may not even be up north.?

6. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    What we call perch in Oklahoma are sunfish not really perch at all. But I agree that black perch or rock bass watever they are make better bait than bluegills

7. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Actually what are commonly called "Black Perch" are actually Green Sunfish. "Black Perch" is a common name given to the Green Sunfish, predominately in the midwest. Part of the reason, at least here in OK, is they are great bait but it is illegal for the bait shops to sell Green Sunfish as bait, but no one complains about Black Perch.

And for anyone who has never catfished with them...we refer to them as "Catfish Candy"!