Black/Pee dee near georgetown help

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by wpsatisfide, Jan 20, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Well im taking my girlfriend out sunday around plantation row on peedee and black river just up from winyah bay. She has never seen it by boat and its beautiful. Well probably throw some lines in the water and I was wondering if anyone has fished this area and could give me some insight.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't fished for cats there, but there are some fine-looking places along that stretch of the Waccamaw, especially just below Hagley, and near Jericho Creek is said to be good. Just find some deep holes near the outside bends, near the bank, and watch for those yachts>>>99.9% of them have no respect for small boats! :)
    I've been wanting to fish that area some, myself, but keep putting it off for some reason. Let me know what kind of luck you have if you go...I think there's a 60% chance of rain tomorrow.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The cold front is just above me in Wilmington, 53 degs. there, and 30 miles south in Myrtle Beach, it's 61degs. Expect rain if it moves south. This is your national weather service as of 6:30 AM.

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, weatherpaul. I've given up trying to predict it lately, but I can tell you what is was like yesterday, if someone needs to know.;) This has been a screwy winter start, but last night the local weather predicted snow down this way on Feb 6, can you believe it? They can hardly get tomorrow's forecast right.

5. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Well it was to cold for my girlfriend, so I called a friend of mine and we went out around 11. It was pretty choppy so I just fished jericho creek for a little while. I caught 3, the largest was maybe a whopping 2lbs. My 5/0 gamamakatsu was about as big as the smallests mouth LOL. Anyway headed up to pee dee and dropped line for a little while. Wind started picking up and I felt raindrops so I left.

Hopefully weather will be better next time. Rough day to be outon the water, but I had fun and got home in time to catch the football game

6. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    If you havent fished the broken bridges before in the winter try the south bridge. I have caught some nice blues there in the winter months. The mouth of the Pee Dee, and about the first mile of it has been a good place also. The Pee Dee is a shallow river compared to the Black, I usually have good luck fishing it during falling water. Have you ever tried Bull creek? It is at marker 48 in the Waccamaw, if you put in at Wacca Wache its about 3 miles up river. I have fished these rives for about 20 years and that one seems to be the most productive for blues, it also has a good flathead population. I dont fish for flatheads but I usually catch at least 1 while fishing there.

7. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    thanks for the advice sfisher. I work in pawleys and actually live in surfside for the time being. Yeah I was looking at that area when I drove by it. Have only fished closer to georgetown so far, mostly for redfish.

What have you found to be the best bait in that area?

8. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    Mullet in my opinion is the best bait for Blue cats around here. Although one day while fishing in the Pee Dee I saw some Menhyden flipping on top of the water, I caught some in the castnet and had one of my best days ever. I was in the right place at the right time. There must of been a school of them going up river to spawn or feed I dont know, but the cats were right behind them. I normally fish with at least six poles, and that day I went down to one. I got tired of catching fish. It was in july and it was about 95 degrees out, it lasted about 2 hours with the biggest fish being 46lbs. I usually try to go back there at least once or twice in the summer, but I have never found it to be that way again. So I guess the moral of the story is, if you are up one of these rivers and you see some menhyden start fishing. But other than that Mullet has out fished everthing else that I have tried. I usually go down to the Murrells inlet boat landing when I can catch a low tide between 10pm and 3am and through a cast net for mullet. There is a new public fishing dock right next to the marina that would probably work also but, I have not tried it. Harrelsons seafood market also carries them fresh certian times of the year.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Steve, I've planned to fish the waccamaw seriously now for some time, but I told my wife just last night, that will be the next place I try. In fact, this morning I was reading about a 61# blue that was caught near the bridges at G'town. Had wanted to go today, but something else came up, supposed to be pretty windy tomorrow, but maybe monday. If it's too windy I can put in at Hagley and avoid the rough water near winyah bay and the bridges.

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I fished the waccamaw and peedee a couple of days ago. I didn't have live bait, but had some herring I froze a couple of days earlier. Fished several deep holes in the main river without much luck, finally caught a couple of small channels 3-4# in a deep hole in schooner creek, then I traveled through schooner to the peedee and back to georgetown, stopping to try a few places along the way. I found a nice spot up black river, 20-40' deep, marked fish on bottom, but couldn't get them to bite.
    I guess I did more scouting than actual fishing, but I want to go back there again real soon.