Black pearl nets

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by cumberlandcat, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have heard so much about every net out there. I have looked at the black pearl nets and I am wondering if its worth the money. I would only be throwing it in open water I'll save my old net for the river. I am just sick of nets thats won't spread all the way. The cheaper nets seem to have the cone in the middle. I want 8 ft. net that will spread a full 16 foot and sink fast as possible, and i know some of that has some to do with the operator. Just wondering if its worth the money or if there is a net out there for a few less bucks that is made well enough to get a full spread.

2. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They look pretty decent , so yours doesn't get the cone in the middle keeping it from opening. Thanks

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    These are my choice in nets. I use the Calusa 12 ft diameter one. I can't imagine a 16 footer. Seeing as how I almost totally fish the Mississippi River, most of the time I don't break out the Calusa. Walmart specials will do just fine. LOL

Personally, other than weight amount, I find very little difference between one net or the other. lots of heavy weights will make the net sink quicker, but will wear you out quicker also. As for opening, kinda hard to "buy" a good throw. Gotta earn it by lots of practice in my opinion.

http://www.calusa.com/

5. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    If you are getting a cone shape in the net when you throw,chances are,you're not getting enough rotation on the net to make it open all the way.If i was you,i would take the net you have now and soak it to soften it up,hang it by the horn with the lead just touching the floor to dry.Then go out and throw it till it opens flat....Then go from there.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yeah, soaking it in liquid fabric softener really helps a mono net. I tried the nylon, bad idea. It doesn't sink as quick and 1 baby catfish could ruin the net. You'd never get it out completely.

One other thing I learned. Many cheap nets come with a rope that is too short. I usually need at least a 30 ft rope. When replacing the rope, do not use a nylon rope!!!
    It absorbs water and will weigh more than the net in no time, completely throwing away any chance to use the net till it dries out.

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I told the wife to pick some up but haven't tried that yet. I have been throwing nets for years but when I bought this wally world 8 footer I can't seem to get it to open all the way so I will give soaking it a try. Thanks for the help.