Black Panthers down South

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by N2Ducks, Feb 21, 2006.

1. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Has anybody ever heard of black panthers around the texas area? I live in central texas and I have herd stories from the game warden about a black panther. Maybe it is a dark colored bobcat or cougar. Any ideas?

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif

3. hobocatfisher

hobocatfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oh yea we have them here in Central TX. I and a friend saw one 2 years ago on the dirt road to Colorado Bend State Park. The rangers said that the panthers follow the river systems and follow the pig birthing, their favorite food next to deer fawns.

4. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks. I have a neighbor that swore a black panther killed a bunch of his goats but I thought he was lying to me. guess not lol

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    So what would a black panther in Texas be? Jaguar? I have heard that they have documented jaguars coming up into Texas in the last few years.

Interestingly, I have heard many stories of some sort of panther in South Carolina. Typically the stories involve a long tailed cat bigger than a bobcat, but not huge, and often they're black or dark colored. Many of the stories are from hunters and fishermen and other unreliable sorts ;), but I have heard tales also from some biologists that have seen them. We are way outside of the range of jaguars, but I suspect that the Florida panther has spread up here undocumented. Ever heard of a dark color variation of a puma?

6. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    My brother has told me about them, but I haven't found anything out about them. Have you?

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I hear stories about black panthers(mountain lion, cougar all the same cat with different names) here in the upstate of South Carolina but I've yet to see one.

8. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    we get a panther or two every once in awhile around here in the n.e. oklahoma/s.w. missouri area.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ihad a friend to say he saw one at local lake one night coming home from fishing. i went fishing the next night and was coming home and there was a black dog pissing on a firehydrant right where he saw his. i havent let him live down either. i told him if it wasnt a crop circle or big foot i was not going to believe it anymore....lol theres got to be something out there too many peoples seen it.

10. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
  11. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    My dad lives between Farmersville and Blue Ridge (north central Texas) he has property that backs up the the Lake Lavon flood land which is owned by the Corp I would say its a couple thousand acres of nothing but thick woods, Sister Grove creek runs down the middle. When I was about 10 or so me and my dad was sand bass fishing walked down the creek about a half a mile and at a low crossing we noticed a huge paw print id say about 4 inches wide or even more not sure if it was a cat print or not but sure was a lil spooky. There is alot of hogs populating the land and farmers where complaining about them getting into there crops became a huge problem and TPWD sposely let loose a couple mountian lions to put them in check. Ive only seen one while going driveing down a rock road north of Blue Ridge about 2 in the morn. I have heard of people seeing panthers but personally never seen one. I used to raise goats and had a problem with something carryin them off and eating them mostly looked like coyotes never had any that had huge teeth marks around there necks like a panther or mountin lion would do knew a fella down the road that had a calf that had gotten killed by one had someone come out and look at the carcass, messured the bite marks only thing it could have been was a mountian lion or panther

12. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas