black-nosed sacalait

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by StuBone278, Mar 3, 2009.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    sacalait, crappie, whatever yall want to call them. I've been catching a lot of black-nosed, black crappie out of the pond at my camp. I assume it just happens to be in the genetics? Anyone else catch them with the distinct stripe down the front of their nose? Like 80% of them have it, and it looks pretty cool!

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I have not noticed that. I would love to see a pic to see what your talking about. It would be interesting

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Next time I go, I'll be sure to get a few pictures.

4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Okay, well I happened to have a picture, but it is unintentional that you can see the stripe. I'll get a better one later, but to get the idea, this is what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Wow! that is dark. I don't remember any of my crappie being that dark on the nose. Is the water really dark or something?

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    The water is very clear. I have seen it a few times before, but the numbers of them in this pond are a pretty high percentage.

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Could be these crappie- The Arkansas Black Nosed Crappie is a strain of black crappie first described in the white river basin of Arkansas. The black nosed crappie have a black stripe running from the top of their dorsal fin, down their nose and over their bottom lip.