black light

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ghostcat78, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ghostcat78

ghostcat78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish the Missouri around Jeff/Mokane area. Not new to the sport. but always ready to better myself to make fishing more effictive evey year by learning, buying, building better gear and listening to old timmers talk. I'm thinking about black lights because i don't know how many fish i missed by not seeing the line. i use a lantern now but on the river you might get lifted off by skeeters. but with a black light, white poles and, neon line that might be a cool and effictive set up. What do you guys think?:confused2:

2. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Alan! Glad to have you aboard. I've used a black light several times and liked it, not real sure why I don't use one more often.

3. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    First off Alan welcome to the BOC. I would strongly suggest using black lights. It makes your line look like a piece of rope. You will be able to see the slightest little twitch in your line. It will drawn in mayfly's and those big lunar moths but dont really notice the mosqitos. You wont be disappointed. Much better than a latern. Just bring a flash light to use in the boat. :0a26: Good luck.

4. ghostcat78

ghostcat78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Jon & Josh,:smile2:

5. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    If its one of the big lights it will light it up all the way to the water. Not sure about the little ones.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I never thought about utilizing a black light out on the river, I always have a LED headlamp on my melon when I'm out fishing in the dark, it is one of the best pieces of lighting equipment I have ever purchased. It keeps my hands free when I'm re-riggin', fighting fish and even unhooking fish. It is also bright enough to light up the net when I am reeling in one or landing one for the other guy in the boat.

I might have to try the black light thing now though, sounds cool! :cool2:

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Black Lights are really nice to have for night fishing. I have a rod with glow in the dark thread wraps. With the black light it really glows nice and with the chartruese mono, I'm able to see the line better and every little bite too. I use a head lamp style that works great. Check out Catfish Connection.They have a wide variety of black lights. Great investment. Doesn't attract the bugs either!!

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Welcome to the BOC Alan. You'll like it here!!

9. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hey ghostcat I went to school and JC, and I know just where you are fishing, welcome ot the site, and a blacklight will work great.

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I use Black lights.. Hard to fish without em anymore heh..

I really like the Nite Stalker III .. Not to big, throws plenty of light. Best part is, has 12V for when I'm on the boat, or D batt if I decide to hit the bank... D's last a long time as well...

11. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I also use the black light when in the boat as well as on the bank works great !!:cool2::smile2: And the knot tying is a breeze.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC lan. I use a small 12v black light on the back of my boat at night and it works great. Also no problems with the bugs as others said. I have the plug on mine and just plug it in.

13. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Welcom to the BOC Alan. You will like it here. Never tried the black light. After reading all the post I think I will have to give it a try.

Tom

14. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I also have the black light that clips on the hat with LED's. Comes in handy in a pinch. Especially when tying knots in the dark.

Love the way black lights make my teeth look in the mirror:crazy:

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alan Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Black lights work great and if your doing a lot of night fishing it is a good investment. I don't think its been mentioned but the black light works with fluorescent line.

16. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I just buy the ones from walmart in the home decor section..They are like 11 bucks and 24 inches long.Plug it right into my inverter....Hate being with out them, they really like the flourescent big game line up..You can see it better at night than you can in the day.

17. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Alan, Welcome to the Boc. Sounds like you fish some of the same water that I do. We will be fishing Fri. in that area. I use a small hat light that is like a black light. One of my reels is rigged with 40 lb. big cat that is green colored, it lights up real good when the light hits it. Just befoure dark we use clear Scotch tape, and tape 8in. glow sticks on the tips of our rods. Thease will stay light all night, works great. We also use a couple of white 5 gal. buckets, and set one bug candle in each one. This makes a great light , and will last all night. We keep them up front away from gas tank. We are fishing out of a 18ft. G-3 como With Rod holder rails on back and front.

18. ghostcat78

ghostcat78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I want to say thanks to everybody that responded (very helpful) I have used glowsticks in the past and they work awsome but you can't see the line. to see the fish coming to you. I also use them on my jugs.

I put in sometimes under the bridge or at mokane. most times i use the maureau river ramp. Its closest to my honey hole on the missouri. I have a brown ranger bass boat with a homemade spider on back made out of horse shoes. the only one out there quite like it. I'll really hit it hard in a couple of months. but for now i might go out friday to snag for asian carp. (basterds) more you kill the better the waters will be.

I also been in a few acat tournaments also this past year.

19. kcgmatt

kcgmatt New Member

State:
    MO
    I've never used a black light but you all have convinced me to try one. Thanks.

20. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Alan, welcome to the BOC from Texas. I haven't tried black lights either.... think i'm gonna have to get me one now