Black Lab Question

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by uptoolate, Aug 25, 2006.

1. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    My lab is only for companionship, not working and we love him to death. We feel he loves us back.

Problem is, he is really good at tricks and learning new ones, except "fetch". He will not retrieve anything. He will go after some stuff but will either pick it up and drop it real fast or he will never pick it up but come real close.

Dog info:

90 lb.
    about 2 yrs old
    Neutered
    got him when he was about 1 yr old
    very happy and active personality
    indoor kept but exercised

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I cheated teaching our black lab fetch. I took a tennis ball and put a small hole in it just big enough to put a piping bag tip in and fill it up with peanut butter. Then when he brought the ball back I gave him some peanut flavored treat.

3. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Joey,
    There could be multiple factors involved here.

The most likely one is that whomever had him before you may have hit him for picking up and playing with things they did not want him having.

Another is that he never had anyone play with him by throwing balls, sticks, etc. He may just not know how or what fun it is. I have seen this many times with the Labs I take into Lab Rescue of NC.

Does he have a favorite toy he plays with? If so you might try tossing it very short distances to see if he will pick it up. It may take several times.

Another thing that often works is getting him around another dog that loves to fetch and playing with that dog so your dog sees what is going on and can join in.

There are several other things that can be tried that I will be happy to help you with. Just send me a PM if you are interested.

Barb

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    That is another great tip!

Kongs work well for that too.

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Get a tennis ball or a bumper and wind him up, I mean get him excited and give it a pitch. He most likly won't bring it back at first just run around with it, but go pick it up and toss it again, also for just playing around get him a toy and leave it in his pen for a few days, and at night pitch it a few times, He'll come around. I wouldn't do the latter with a true duck dog though.

6. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Thanks for the advice so far everybody, I really appreciate it. Like Cattledogs said, he probably did get abused before we had him. I'll be the first to admit I was a little harsh on him at first, slapping him in the butt a couple times when he didn't favor me, but it was only a couple times because he whimpered and got real scared when I did that. I figured somwbody hit him. It's been my experience dogs don't get like that from getting whacked on the butt for getting in the garbage.

He has "learned" a bad habit from my mom's shih-tzu (sp?): he will chew a stuffed animal apart. He's reallly not bad about that, though, and I thinks it's out of boredom. Other than that he doesn't really have any favorite toys and he never gets a real interest in anythinh I buy him.

Sometimes I do the get-him-wound-up thing, but he just runs over to it and runs right over it or picks it up and drops it.

Here's what I'm going to try: I've noticed he will take something out of my hand. I'll get him interested in it and he'll go for it if I hold it over his head. So I'll grow that game a little. I'll try to get him to get used to carrying the object by walking just after he grabs it. If he drops it I'll get him to grab it again, if he walks with iyt give him praise and maybe a treat. Then I'll go to short distances. Then long ones. If I feel like it'll help along the way, I'll do the peanut butter thing or something like it.

Sound like a plan?

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Shot in the dark here but check his gums. If he has tender gums a dog will often love to chew soft things like stuffed animals and may not chew harder toys.

Get somebody out there with you. Have them throw the toy, you walk the dog to it and try to get the dog to bring it back with you. If he won't bring it back for him right in front of his mouth and if he does it at all go slap dab crazy with love and affection on him.

The urge is there but has probably been beat down by someone else. Love it out of him!

I would love to see a pic or two of him!

8. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    Joey, Does he ever shy away from something when he gets to it to pick it up ? If he does I would guess that someone may have tried to force fetch him when he was real young. Look for things like does he shy away from a hand going towards his head to pet him or is he real sensitive to you messing with his front feet , if either of these things happen I would say that is the problem and it takes some work but you can overcome it with patience.

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Any Lab worth his feed is gonna chew on stuff it's just the nature of the beast.

10. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    I had a Lab that would retrive game for you but was not interested in retriving toys etc. Labs love to eat and this is a simple way to teach them to retrive. Trainers also use a forced retrive method that is described on the internet. I don't like it and why would you use that when rewards with food will work.

11. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Training with rewards is for starting or puppy training, force training is for finishing a class hunt test, feild trial, or super duck dog. If you ever had a dog refuse to go when sent you would know that it's not finished till it is forced.