Black Drum?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Teatle42, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Teatle42

Teatle42 New Member

State:
    VA
    I live on the Chesapeake Bay, and for most of June, July, and early August I'm normally Cobia fishing. Does anyone every go for the run of puppy drum (juvenile black drum) that happens in the late spring and early fall? I've heard from lots of people that black drum is just a "junk fish" in terms of eating, especially when they are 40+ pounds. When they're that big the meat tends to get as dense as chicken meat, and they get lots of spaghetti worms in them. Plus the scales are as big around as a can of bean and you have to scale them with a garden hoe. But I've also heard from lots of people that drum under about 12 pounds are very good eating.

I decided to put that to the test when I caught (by chance) a 22 inch 8 pound drum last week (pic below), and I must say it tasted pretty good. I battered it and fried it up, and it was pretty light tasting and tender.

So my real question is: Does anyone ever fish for these guys specifically, or if you catch them by chance do you eat them much?

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1108/22inchblackdrum.jpg

2. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Filet them out and shave off the red meat. They're good up to about two feet long.
    A lot of what gets served in fancy New Orleans restaurants as redfish is actually black drum. You can't tell the difference in the filets.

3. Teatle42

Teatle42 New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the reply, Thad. I had heard that about a small black vs. a red drum. Most people I talked to about puppy drum said that they taste just like red drum.

I suppose if I'm lucky enough to catch them at a decent size, I'll be keeping them for dinner.

4. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Not sure about the black ones but the reds are great:smile2:

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A puppy drum is not necessarily a black drum.
    Puppy drum is constituted by size.

I like to fish for black and red.
    Black get up over a 100 pounds.
    FIshing report I got from the Pamlico yesterday. 3 people I know of through someone else.
    35 red drum. None under 40 pounds. Largest was 61 pounds.

Couldn't keep a one of them.

6. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Maybe it's a regional thing.
    'Puppy drum' only refers to black drum down here. Nobody calls reds 'drum'.

Redfish are either 'bulls', 'slots', or 'rats'.

Black drum are 'nasty bottom-sucking trash fish'.
    :smile2:

7. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Ive eaten drum before and I think the meat is ehh ok.. the texture and density IMO is similar to lobster kinda tough..

I much prefer to use them for bait.. :smile2:

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The best way to do drum and reds is like this...Filet leaving skin and scales on and throw on grill scales down..Brush a lil melted butter on them and sprinkle with your favorite seasoning..I'm rather partial to Toney Chacheries seasoning..

Attached Files:

9. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    And no Black drum are not "nasty bottom-sucking trash fish" they actually eat mainly oysters and clams...We simply call red drum reds and the ones under 24" are rat reds over 24" is a bull red..Black drum we simply call drum and freshwater drum we call them gaspergoo..

10. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Black Drum have been called the carp of salt water. That being said their tablefare is quit delicious as has already been eluded to earlier. A 40 pound drum puts up quite a tussle. We usually fish for them in the Delaware Bay.

Ray

11. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Redfish on the halfshell!
    Heck yeah!

Never tried it with black drum (never caught a lot of those while speck fishing) but I'll try it next time I get one. I got spoiled living in SE Louisiana. I haven't found anything yet that measure up to fresh speckled trout filets. I don't really love fried reds (the meat has a much more pronounced texture) but they're good halfshelled. They don't seem so 'fishy'.

Notice the quotes around "nasty bottom-sucking trash fish".
    :smile2:

I keep them when I catch them but most of the guys I fish with turn their nose up at them. I have one friend who calls redfish "nasty bottom-sucking trash fish" and doesn't want them in his boat. He only eats specks.

What a prima donna!

12. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah I remember when I was a kid any kinda drum was a trash fish then Paul Prudhomme came up with that "Blackened Redfish" recipe and people nearly wiped them out..They finally put them size and creel limits or people woulda fished them to extinction..By the way I'm from Louisiana..From Westwego just outside New Orleans..

13. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    At one time every one considered red drum as a junk fish until a few people started eating them and sreading the word.Its funny to see all the people going after them now.

14. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    A few chefs are using sheepshead (better tasting, IMNSHO) now, but the mad rush for sheepshead hasn't quite caught on.
    :roll_eyes:

Where y'at, Brah!
    :cool2:

15. Teatle42

Teatle42 New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for all the replies. As to regional naming, most people seem to call small black drum a puppy drum here, and small red drum are either called a puppy drum as well or more commonly just a small red (drum). People seem to use "red" and "red drum" pretty interchangeably.

As for the taste, I've been lucky enough to catch another small black drum and I've taken a liking to them. Black drum are on their way out of here and red drum are starting to arrive, so I hope soon enough I'll be able to compare the black to the red.

I've had sheepshead on a few occasions, and I find them a bit better than drum as well based on my limited eating experience. Sheepshead fishing has caught on with some of the locals here, whereas out-of-towners are still infatuated with flounder (along with many locals). This summer I'd see cobia fisherman throw 3-4 rods in the water with a fishfinder rig on it, then take a bait rod and go fish the pier pilings for sheepshead while they wait for a run. Fiddler crabs and clam seem to be the most common bait, and I've heard about guys out on a boat get close to a buoy or concrete piling, and scrape off and smash up barnacles to make a nice chumline.