black dot in bluegills

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by butch fulk, Jul 7, 2008.

1. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    went bluegill fishing with the kids and we got some bluegill with little black dot in them . this is not the frist time seeing them, i thought i would just ask and see if anyone new what there were.

2. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Bluegills are members of the sunfish family. They have a small mouth, a high dorsal fin with a black dot, and a long, pointed pectoral fin. It also has five to nine vertical bars on its olive-colored sides and back. If the Blue gill you are catching does not have a black dot then it is a inbreed. The black dot is a true full blooded bluegill that has not been spawned out with a sunfish or any other species of the sunfish family.

3. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Do you mean the parasite? The tiny black pinhead like specks that are all over the fish sometimes? I can't remember what that is called technically, but the common name is "black spot", and it is gross to eat. The fishing rules guide says that the parasites in Michigan fish aren't harmful to eat as long as the fish is cooked thouroughly, but I still don't eat fish that have those. The perch where I fish have them all over and I just throw those back. The bluegills don't generally, but can, sometimes it isn't noticed until I am cleaning them, and if it is just a few, I may let it pass. A bad case gets the fish tossed in with the heads and buried, nobody will eat those in my family if they know about it. Worse are the little yellow grubs that sometimes infest the fish flesh, I won't eat fish with those either.

4. wishbone1

wishbone1 New Member

State:
    michigan
    Occasionally anglers catch fish with black, pinhead size spots which cause the fish to have a peppered appearance, or a fish may be caught which has white to yellow colored grubs under the skin of in the flesh. Yellow perch taken from the shallower waters of the Great Lakes often contain red worms coiled within the body cavity. All these conditions are caused by common fish parasites. Fish with these parasites are safe to eat, as all these (and any other parasites) are killed by cooking. Black Spot and yellow grub parasites are most common in bass, sunfish (all species), and northern pike, and red worm is specific to yellow perch. These and related parasites may be found in other species of fish as well. It is not unusual for anglers to catch walleye with pink, whitish, or yellowish wart-like growths on their bodies and fins. These are caused by fish viruses, the most common of which is called lymphocystis. This is primarily a skin disease, and the flesh is usually not affected. Lymphocystis is harmless to humans and affected fish are safe to eat. Skinning the fish usually removes all diseased tissue. If a legal size fish is heavily affected and appears aesthetically unpleasing, it should be kept for disposal because a fish that is released will only spread more virus.

5. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    See it all the time brother! It wont hurt ya, just like Barry said!
    Have ya'll thought about the michigan gathering?

6. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    this is going to be cool. just hanging out by the river and talking and fishing.that the cool thing about this boc .. you can meet people from all over that state and you can ask any thing you want

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that black spot is the fish trying to get rid of this certain parsite. My brother caught a bass out of a farm pond and took it to the idnr office in fairfield illinois and they told him about it and supossedly it comes from kingfishers. It is safe to eat it, but some fish just have too many and we throw them back. A lot of the ones we catch those black spots are really hard.