Black Cloud

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by DIESELkat, Aug 16, 2008.

1. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I've been looking into tryin some Black Cloud this year and wondered if anyone has tried it. Right now Im using mainly 3.5" Hevi-Shot 2s for late season geese, 3.5" Hevi 4s for late season ducks and early season geese. Hevi-shot is great but is killing my wallet so Im looking for alternatives.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    LOL< wish I could help you brother. How much do they run per box?

3. wiskerkitty61

wiskerkitty61 New Member

State:
    texas
    I ve talked to some guys on the waterfowling fourms and the majority of them really didnt think that they were all that. I will be sticking to the old steel shot for now, even though the prices have shot thru the roof. Good Luck this season and keep us posted as to your evaluation of Black cloud shot. I have seen pics of the shot and it looks really weird.

4. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    It depends on the size shot and shell but its around $20/box of ten. Its definately worth it when I go to North Dakota and always have a chance at a mount worth bird but I cringe when I think about shooting $2 a shot. It definately makes you more careful about your shots though. That stuff is absolutely amazing, 4 of us go out every year and i've seen all 4 of us drop cripples at 75 yards.

5. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    It definitely is unique. Im still not sure how they get the BBs with the little ridge to fly straight. Thanks for the update on Black Cloud.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am a meat hunter, so it would be a 'black cloud' on my wallet. i am still shooting the 3" #4 steel for ducks and 3" BBB for geese and doing fine. talking about mount birds, i ate all the wood ducks i shot. they were beautiful, but man that had to be the best ducks we ever ate! good luck to you this season.

7. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Jordan, your right about woodies. They are very good. Its too bad they are only around for about 2 weeks once the season comes in up here. At the first sign of cold they are outta here, even the teal stick around longer than them.

8. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    If and this is the deal, if you want a load for long range goose and duck shooting, Black Cloud is the load to use. It is not a load to use over decoys. The wad stays with the shot for a long ways out, thereby acting almost like a slug at close range. You either miss or blow them to kingdom come! I used a lot of it last year. Either as the last shot in the magazine, or for pass shooting. I know some people think pass shooting a terrible, but I deal with what the birds give me. My family likes to eat geese, so I go get em'.
    BB's are the load I've used the most of, and I've been very impressed. It kills geese and ducks like no other steel load available. Plus it's a whole lot cheaper than any other so called premium load out there. WE use a laser range finder while pass shooting and believe me, Black Cloud is the bomb. A lot of geese right around 65- 70 yards fell gyd. Longest shot was at 84 yards, which looked way to high to be shooting. The lead goose folded and dropped like a stone. The down side is hitting the ground from that high tears them up bad..
    When the birds are decoying well, I use Fiocchi steel. 2s for ducks and BBs for geese. But when they won't decoy, give me Black Cloud..

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    John, pass shooting is a way of life up here. There is definitely a difference though between pass shooting and sky busting. We get fresh birds alright, but we also have alot of resident geese and mallards that just will not decoy well after a few weeks. Part of the problem is that I dont live in an area that has generations of guys handing down the art of waterfowl hunting, so guys figure its something to do to get out of the house. The absolute worst is an area with permanent blinds just off of Pymatuning res. This area is some of the best waterfowl hunting in the state, and the blinds are drawn lottery style. The only way you can hunt some of the area is to draw one of the blinds or show up and hope for a no-show from someone who did draw a blind. If your drawn for a blind, you get 1 morning to hunt and you cant come back until the next year. You can hunt the rest of the res., which definately has birds, but this area is the cream of the crop. The blinds are all located in cornfields just off the lake, and when your in a blind there are others on each side of you about 200 yards away. Granted, there are some honest to goodness waterfowl hunters but most of these guys just do it for something to do. Its amazing how many times you see guys show up with theyre blaze orange deer hunting jackets on and expect to kill geese. This is when you really find out how good your calling and dekes are. You basically have to bring the birds in on a string because guys will sky bust all morning long. You can only take 10 shells per person into the blinds, and when your 10 shells are done, so are you, goose or not. People are under the assumption that they can go out and buy a 3.5" 12ga and kill geese at 100 yards (at least up there they do). The reason I say this is I hope noone thought I was looking for a sky busting load. Sometimes you get them right in your lap, but alot of times you have to either make do and take a 50 or 60 yard shot or go home empty handed. I think im going to try some Black Cloud as a 3rd shot for early goose season and see how it does. Thanks to everyone who posted, hopefully we can start getting some good pics of birds on here. Early goose opens up Sept 1 here.

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    If you want to save some money, why not go down to 3" heavy shot? With the performance I've seen out of it, I really think 3-1/2" is kinda overkill. It would save you a few dollars a box at least.

11. johnliester

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I personally don't use Hevi shot because I can't justify the price. A lot more expensive than even Black Cloud, and if you miss? 3.5 bucks gone. If I Shoot good steel loads I can afford more shells, thus more hunting. Momma keeps a close eye on what I spend.:wink: A couple of years ago a friend gave me 2 boxes of 3.5" hevi 2s to try. I didn't see any real difference between it and a good steel load. Yes, I killed geese with it, but they'd have been killed with steel as well. To me it's not worth the price. And this season with the price of tungsten going up, look out!

Dieselkat, I feel your pain. There's an old saying that on a public area the guy in the other blind is an idiot. We used to see a lot of that down at Kirwin NWR. Guys shooting geese 200 yards away, sometimes to just keep someone else from getting any. Childish if you ask me.
    Now we hunt a lake that has a small refuge on it. The state holds special hunts there too, and I usually draw one each year. Drew November 26th this year so should be good. What's great is you're the only party hunting that field. One pit blind and a dozen dekes are provided. We bring our own too. Your allowed ten shells. Once they're gone, so are you. They keep a close watch on the area you're hunting. We try to get our geese first, then use the shells we have left on ducks. Last year we never fired a shot. Hunt was the day after Christmas and the entire field was burried under a foot of snow. Blind was buried too. We made the best of it but no geese flew until afternoon, after we had to be out of the field. Went to another part of the lake, found a good tree to hide behind, we killed three limits in 20 minutes. Pays to pay attention to the birds!!!

12. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Sometimes I agree with you that it is overkill. The strange thing is though, it seems to me that the bigger Canada's, snow's, and especially the swans, are relatively easy to bring down. Its when you get the lesser Canada's and cranes that it gets interesting. Lessers are some of the hardiest birds out there, second only to cranes (of what ive hunted). 3 years ago in ND, I hit a lesser at about 40 yards with a load of Hevi 3.5" 2s and he locked his wings and sailed about 200 yards. By the time I got to him he was dead. Just as I picked him up, another flock came right over my head. I shot another one and the same thing happened. This 1 was about 20 yards when I hit him, right in the chest, and locked his wings and over the hill he went. When I got over the hill, there was a slough about 50 yards away. I called my buddy to bring the canoe over with the truck, and when he got there we were unloading the canoe and I saw the goose flapping about 50 yards from the edge of the slough. We both walked over and the bird jumped. I put 2 more shots in him and my buddy put 1 in him before he went down, right in the middle of the slough. I think if i was only using 3", we would have never gotten him.
    On the same hand, Ive personally seen cranes, a tough ol bird, killed clean with a 410.

13. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Been running around the country for the last 20 or so years like a fool chasing ducks. I think every year or so they come out with a new waterfowl load or shot it's all about the $$$$$. I have found that Winchester DryLock Steel will killem every time. U know the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. If U but it on them old steel will killem. And thats all I got to say about this deal.
    PEEDEE CAT

14. johnliester

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    PeeDee I agree, and it doesn't have to be expnsive steel either..

15. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    I'm going to try some of the BC this year. The Hevi shot is a bit toooo heavy on my wallet!

Q