Black Butte Lake

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AllenM, Aug 18, 2005.

1. AllenM

AllenM Guest

This is not far from where I live, has some decent cats but my friends and I often catch squawfish, or pikeminnows when fishing for them. If you have a boat this place is great for rainbow and brown trout. Also some places good for bass. There are a couple lakeshore camp grounds and such, day use is $4 and camp slots are $14.

2. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, I got a boat now and I'm going to take it out on the lake now that it's FINALLY starting to warm up. Soon as me and my buddy get the lights wired we'll be taking it out for some night fishing for cats. I'll let you all know if we pull in anything worth talking about. ;)

3. kent k

kent k New Member

State:
    calif
    Do you ever fish lake oroville?I have been fishing there last summer and did not have much luck.I also started late in the summer when the water was droping.Can you give me any help at getting big cats there....kent k

4. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the site bud,Ive never fished Oroville but have inlaws that keep insisting that I should.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Kent and Allen, welcome to the B.O.C.! We are really happy to have you join us! The B.O.C. is the best fishing site on the internet. Great people and tons of information! Lake Oroville is a place I hope to get to this summer!

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I'm hoping to try it out myself this summer, but haven't been out there yet. I've only fished Black Butte Lake and the Sac River off River Road south of 32. It's been a long winter and I'm sure glad to see the rain come to a long awaited halt though! If you go out to Oroville, let us know what you come back with. I'm looking forward to hearing about it. Same with anyone fishing Shasta lake or any of the lakes around it.

7. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    I used to live in Cohasset, Ca. Most weekends I would go fishing at Black Butte, except during the shad run, when I would go the the Sacramento River, or if the Salmon were running on the American. Great place to fish. I caught a HUGE crappie out of Black Butte, but did not carry a scale or ruler in those days, so I can't comment on the size.

8. AllenM

AllenM Guest

My best crappie out there was a white crappie, weighing just over a pound. Best cat was 14 pounds. I get a lot of spotted bass out there ranging from 1/4 to 1 pound. That's all from various points on the shoreline. I'm hoping to get out there and raise those numbers this year.

9. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I want to make a crrection to my original post:

I was informed this spring that the lake does NOT hold trout, because the water gets too warm. Sorry for the missinformation. :embarassed:

10. kent k

kent k New Member

State:
    calif
    Well i have went to cat fishing at orville two times now the water has come up alot about 15 to 20 feet,Used liver/fish guts/worms/anchovies/ with no luck so far.I am a die hard still have not gave up yet can any one tell me sorta kinda when they should start hitting.I like fishing but catching is a lot more fun don't you think,Well that is all for now good luck where ever you fish....kent