Black birds are horrible

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by JERMSQUIRM, Mar 21, 2006.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    every year i plant tomatoes and peppers i loose a bunch. i thought it was rabbits for years untill i caught the culprits. black birds pinch them off at the stems and fly away with the plant. i had been putting a chicken wire fence around it but still loosing plants. thats when i relized that the predators were coming in over the fence not through it.

last year i had to totally inclose the garden with chicken wire and drape a bird net over the entire thing. i seen the birds bouncing off it at times. i tried metal pie pans didn't do much. and a fake owl and blow up snake. anyone have anymore tips.

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Darn jeremy, I thought you were talking about cooking them. That would be a solution:)

3. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    12 guage......high brass 6 shot......:cool:

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

oh boy here we go, lmao.

now on the high brass. i live in town, (hillbilly town though) better use the low brass winchester super speed. there cheep.

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I trained my dog to run em off.

In a low voice sorta like a growl I tell her to go check the garden and she runs off barking like someone is breaking in. It works great.

Dang dog aint good for much beyond that and doing the dishes... unfortunately I still gotta wash em. At least she doesnt demand an apron.

6. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I have the same problem with grackles and blackbirds, snipping off the pepper leaves. They make a game out of it, going from plant to plant down the row, snapping each leaf off the new plants. Same with green beans. I found a good way to keep them off until the plants get big enough. Take a 1-gallon white plastic milk jug, cut the bottom out, leave the lid off, and stand the cut end over the plant. The plastic lets light in, open lid lets the air circulate, and the jug keeps the birds off the leaves. You might have to stake the jug if you get a lot of wind. Garden looks funny this way. My neightbor asked me of the jugs were growing ok. After about 3 weeks, the plants are big enough to take the jugs off. This also seems to make a little hothouse, and I think the plants actually grow faster.

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey there great practice for dove season:)

8. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Single stroke pellet rifle.....~1000 feet per second......nearly silent ;)

9. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I know you said you used and owl. I must ask if you moved it at least several times a week. Also did you put it up in the air. I use a steel T-post to mount mine. If you dont move them the birds get used to them and realize they are no threat. I also suggest mylar ballons with big eyes. I have used Elmo before. The movement and eyes give the impression of a predator. If you sat you owl on the ground then this is unnatural and the birds will ignore it.

As far as your dog. Take about 10 hot peppers and grind them up and mix with about a gallon of water. Simmer for about 10 minutes and let cool. Strain the water and pour into a sprayer. The heat will last until rainfall or irrigation comes. Not only will you pup stay away, but it will kill/repell many common garden pests.

Good luck

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    A few shots from a bb gun will cure the dog. He will associate a stinging pain with being in the garden, soon won't be in the garden anymore. I have an old daisy bb gun, 55 yrs old and still does a good job. I got one big dog, neighbors, that walks around my yard rather than come in it. He don't like getting stung.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey ol whiskers. good idea. might try that one first. sounds easier than incasing the entire garden with fence and nets.

ya the bb gun works great too. need to thin em out. mt shop sits right next to the garden with no sofits. they nest there by the dozens. ill be correcting that too soon. im gonna be doing taxidermy in there now and the birds are a pest. had to rid the new neighbor of some pigeoins last week. did i say that?:rolleyes:

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Try hanging those useless "aol" cd's that come in the mail for free, around your garden. With the wind blowing gently and the sun flashing off of them works pretty good. I have chimes in my garden and that helps. Birds also, dont like lime. For a fool proof method, get bird netting.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i still have mt bird netting from last year. i saved it. enough to cover my whole garden.

now on the usless aolcd's thats funny. i was and still am saving them for the no more aol cd champaign. i have a box of probably 300 of them. no kidding.

14. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Boy you are not alone fighting birds off, I like the idea of the pellet rifle, use one myself. It is just about an impossibility to get rid of Blackbirds,
    I have seen them pull young corn out of the ground to get at the seed.
    Another bird I despise are robins they get into my strawberries, eat my
    blueberries, and I have watched them pull up my onion sets, suckers must think they are worm heads sticking out of the ground...amusing only once.

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    When they come in flocks I shoot bottle rockets at them. It works and I don't have clean my 20ga.
    Bill

16. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    my dad put in an sprinkler system in his...it is set on a timer to run every hour..seems to keep everything out

17. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How many to you hit?

18. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    Jeremy, buy a crossmann pumpmaster or daisy powerline 880, and some crossmann hollowpoints at wally world. Both those guns can shoot bb's and pellets. I would use the pellets because they are more accurate, and with the bb's it is easier to over penetrate the bird and maby hit something else. I would hide behind something with camo and wait for them to land. those guns are so quiet you can pick off several before they know what is going on;) If the birds are what I think they are (starlings) don't cook em, and don't touch them with your bare hand. Pick em up w/ a plastic bag and throw em out! they carry lots of desieases. If you are in a rual enough area you can get CCI shotshels (snakeshot) for all pistol calibers and there very quite! Good luck to fixing your (problem) and hopefully you can have a good time doing it!