Black Beaver How Rare in Ohio .... ???

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Jan 3, 2010.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I have had 4 beaver sets out now for 4 days and have caught 1 beaver each day. The one today was a real surprise when it turned out to be black. I am wondering how common they are in Ohio, if anyone knows. I also caught 2 rats in 2 of the other beaver sets. The beaver weighed 41 pounds. Can't decide whether to skin it and have it tanned, sell it with the others or to freeze it whole and sell it to whoever wants to buy it fro taxi work. I have 9 beaver so far. .... Garry-

Attached Files:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Beaver are thick where i'm from Garry. Never seen or heard of one. Being just one, would a buyer even want it? Sorta like albino coon, worthless except to mount or tan. Glad to hear your still at it.

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I guess they don't pay any more for them than they do regular beaver. I am thinking about getting it tanned or selling it to someone that wants to tan it.

Garry-

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats Garry. I have no idea on how odd it is. Sounds odd to me though. You might wanna keep it for yourself?:wink: rollo

5. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    well sounds like your doing pretty good so far i have one small beaver about 20# my first and 6 coon for the year and one beaver chew out i need to get some big squares lol by the way what do you want for a castor sack ? thanks and nice job

6. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Sharpy what size trap did you lose the beaver in? I rarely set anything under a no.4 now and always on some type of a drowning wire set up. We lose very few. 330's work great too if they are legal for you. We trap most of our beaver under the ice. Mainly baited pole sets. Our season runs thru the end of March for beaver so some years we put a few more plews up in the open water just before it ends.

7. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Talked to a friend of mine who is a full time trapper ,nuisance all the time and fur trapper in the winter.He said he has caught two since he's been trapping and that's probably35 years experience.He said it's kinda like catching a silver fox in the wild.He got his best money out of the black beaver by having them tanned then selling them .Sounds like you got a pretty rare catch congrats!

8. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    lost it on a #3 dbl ls, it broke the drown line was using 11ga. wire switched to 3/32 cable ive had one chew out that was out of a #4 newhouse it did not go down the drown line