Black bear spotted in Dallas North Carolina

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bigflatheadfisherman, Jun 20, 2006.

1. bigflatheadfisherman

bigflatheadfisherman New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Someone spotted a black bear weighing about 200 pounds running wild in the small town of Dallas NC. I dont know how it got here but he is along way from home. It has been spotted in 2 different places since monday morning but it was spotted by different people within a 3 block radius.
    Just wanted to let all of the brothers know that you never know what will be running around in your neighbor hood.

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Probably some idiot set his pet free, that they shouldn't of had in the first place.

3. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Dallas isn't that awful far from the mountains is it? The bears just might be spreading out their range.

4. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think Dallas is 50-60 miles from any mountains, I could be mistaken though. I saw Bear Tracks right below the Dam at Lookout Shoals,(near Claremont-Hickory) about 10 years ago. And I will never forget crawling out of the tent while deer hunting in the Mtns (near Lenoir) and seeing tracks right in front of my tent.

5. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    I'm just wondering how heavy the bear population in the NC mountains is? I know there are quite a few bears in the coastal swamps of NC. How much bear hunting is allowed in the mountains of NC?

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dallas is in Gaston County about 25 miles west of Charlotte. There is not a bear season in that area, but bears have been seen that far east. The bear population has seen an eastward spread over the past 20 years. Males are usually the ones that start roaming as they are pushed out of the area they are born in by mature males. If they find a sustainable food source they probably will be around for a while, and with Gaston Counties landfill in Dallas, there is a good shot he will be around until breeding season.