BKS72's 8 Year Old Son ERIC catches a 72 POUND HOG CATFISH!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Cuz, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Well, Branden and his son Eric made the 4 1/2 hour drive to the "East Side" to participate in the first annual Cuz Fest.

Heres the quick rundown as best as I can remember

Cookout started at 8, coffee and donuts, followed by burgers and potatoe salad. Of course It rained the entire time. (Kutter was there too :smile2:) Great BOC comraderie and not too many lies at this event. What great people we have on this board. I'm humbled to be around such fine people.

All in all, we had 13 folks show up. We split up our teams, and I had Slider (Tim), Branden (BKS72), and Brandens 8 Year Old Son Eric in my boat. Thats when the FUN Started.

First stop, Plattin Creek for bait. Tim (Slider) put on a bait catching show with that 10 foot net and in 20 minutes he had us some very choice Asian Carp and large Shad in the boat. Put the boat in gear and we hammered the throttle on the SeaArk and made a half hour run south on the Mississippi

First spot, our lines went in at around 2pm. 30 minutes later a starboard rod was screaming that ol familiar song we LOVE to hear. The fish ran out 50 yards of line before we got it out of the holder. Branden grabbed the rod and tried to get his son Eric to come fight the fish as we knew it was a good one. Eric was being a little shy, and decided not to participate in that battle. (unbeknownst to us, he was saving all his energy for the GRAND FINALE)

Branden made quick work of the fish, and in 10 minutes we had the 44 pound hog over the side of the boat. High fives and hugs, and cheers and jeers followed for five minutes. They were ecstatic, and CUZ was relieved. :smile2: It was my worst fear to not find some fish for them, and now that pressure was gone. :eek:oooh:

Didnt get bit over the next 30 minutes and decided to change spots. There is two small wing dykes across the river which have been VERY good to Cuz over the years and I thought we'd try those. Vince and Gary were on my favorite one so we went to the one just above them. Lines went in with fresh asian carp, and we waited. Lots of small talk followed and some good fishing stories were swapped. At some point, Branden asked everyone which rod we thought was going to get ripped. Without fail, myself, Tim, Branden, and his son Eric ALL pointed at the same rod. It was positioned perfectly on a nice long current rip, and we FELT it was the one. Well...... IT WAS.

5 minutes later, That rod went down an inch or to, stayed there, then went darn near to the water and the drag started singing. I grabbed the rod from the holder and yelled for Eric. THIS TIME, he ran for the action. :smile2: (He knew he needed all his energy for THIS fish:smile2:) He grabbed the smart end of that Surge 8 foot rod and Penn 310 reel and went to work. I merely held one hand on the rod tip to help him with leverage. I looked at Branden and told him, "Branden, this is a really good fish" Within a minute or two, Tim and Branden had cleared every line from the water, trimmed the motor up, and readied the net. They were like a finely oiled machine. Eric gained line at a steady pace. At one point, the fish rolled and did a spectacular tail splash 30 yards behind the boat, and I realized we had 70-80 pound fish on. I just kept saying REEL ERIC REEL. He kept cranking like a winch. At one point, the line went slack, and I felt my heart sink. I thought we had lost her, then the rod loaded up again as the fish dashed up river. Eric kept winching. The line went slack again, and this time I felt nothing on the tip. I said, "Eric, I think we lost her buddy" Eric loudly proclaimed "NO, ITS STILL THERE" Well, he was right. :smile2: It had run at us again. The tug of war went on for 10 minutes as we ran from one side of the boat to the other chasing that fish. Eric cranking the entire time. FINALLY, the fish surfaced boat side. Eric saw how big it was and FROZE. His eyes were the size of dinner plates, and the fish ran again. I said, ok probably yelled it, ERIC, DONT LOOK AT THAT FISH AGAIN, YOU KEEP REELING BUDDY!!!! I told him he could look when it was in the boat. He started to cranking again, and finally we had her in the net and I collapsed to my knees from excitement for that kid.

I will never forget the look on Eric's face when he saw that fish. It is burned into my memory forever. I cant tell you guys how excited I am for Branden and his son. I can only imagine the pride Branden felt for his son, and then then the stark realization his 8 year old has a bigger fish then he does. :smile2::smile2::smile2: Branden, you got some work to do to catch up with him buddy.

Eric, Great Catch, and GREAT RELEASE buddy. Eric watched proudly as the fish was slid back over the edge of the boat and free to fight another day.

Many thanks to Gary and Vince for pulling anchor while they were getting bites to help with weighing and helping take numerous photos of the fish.

It was a day I'll never forget, and I'm sure this young angler wont either. Lots of photos to follow, heres some to get you started.

Attached Files:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Awesome story and fish. Too bad Eric was too shy to get in there and hold it up for the camera.

He and dad will remember that one!:big_smile:

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats another photo of the two fish in my NEW Avatar. :wink:

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    My stars, that fish is as big as he is. That is a great story and a beautiful fish, not to mention one happy youngen and crew. Thanks for sharing with us, I felt we were there in the boat with ya'll. High fives to all.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Branden and the "Master Angler" are asleep in our spare bedroom as I type this. I'm hoping the Big Blue Slugger will post his own version of the big fish when they get home to Kansas City. Branden, Eric, get to work :wink:

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Thanks for sharing the moment with us Cuz and for opening up your boat for Branden and his son Eric. You do realize now that young Eric will be hitting up his daddy up to come fish with Mr. Cuz... :smile2: Thanks again for sharing Eric's exciting day, those times are priceless.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Heres a couple more of the fish.

Attached Files:

8. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    nothing better than taking akid fishing the smile on that boys face and all the high fives around it was just an outstanding day

9. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Nice fish Eric nothing like showing the old man up,keep doing it.:big_smile:

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Congrats to Branden and Eric. It's all worth it when you catch a couple of PIGS, after driving 41/2 hrs to go fishing.:smile2: Cuz fest was a great time. I'm just glad I was around. Cuz and myself were talking on our VHF radio's when the big fish was caught. We were kinda joking around with one another, and I noticed Cuz wasn't talking back, so I got the binoculars out and watched them fight that fish. I didn't know how big it was till I heard 'em hoopin and hollering, and I new it had to be pretty big if Cuz was doing that. I then seem them pull the fish into the boat and I told Vince, that a good one. They drifted down toward us, and we pulled anchor, and they used my Coffee scale to weigh the fish, as myself and Vince took video footage, and numerous pictures. By the way. I've got some priceless footage of Cuz being beat up by that 44lb fish. Lol:big_smile::big_smile:. That was defenetely a wake up call for me, It's been a rough year as far as catching fish goes. That pretty much gave me a big step up in confidence, as I am going back out there after them today. Thanks again guys!:big_smile::big_smile:

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    nice job Cuz

WTG Eric thats a pig

Branden....um err I guess you got some catching up to do...LOL!!!!

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    What a great story guys. I felt like I was there watching the whole event. WAY TO GO ERIC!!!! I know your dad has to be proud of you, awesome fish!
    Took a 8 year old westie to spank all the east side boys LOL.....:wink:
    Super fish guys!!!!!!

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I was talking with Cuz a bit before we went out yesterday, and he said his goal for the day was just to get Eric on a fish. Branden said his previous PB was 6lbs. Now. I knew if anybody could get him to break that one quick, it would be Cuz. Hey Cuz.....you might have went a little over board on that one...72lbs?...It's gonna take him awhile to beat that one!!! LMAO!!!:big_smile::wink:

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    What a good guy to put Branden and Eric on those fish. Cuz I take back all those things I said about you Bro.....:wink:

Now you realize when Eric joins the BOC he's going to knock you off the Missouri Hall of Fame with that one.....:big_smile:

High fives all around you guys!!!!!

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Great job Eric! Glad you guys were able to get on some big fish.

16. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great story:big_smile::big_smile: Wow, That was a trip of a lifetime for a 8 year old.

17. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Hell of a story, Cuz and one hell of a fish!!! Congrats Eric!!!:smile2:
    Oh, and Branden...get to work, you got catchin' up to do Man...LOL In fact many got catchin' up to do...:wink:

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    All I can say is WOW.Thanks for sharing these picks and the story. What a trip. Congrats.:big_smile:

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congrats to you all on such a great time out there and congrats to Eric on the catch!

20. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Way to go Eric! It's a good thing your dad is a big man because he has hoisted a 44, 45, 55, 70 and 72 pounder up for photos in the last month that I know of. Let me know if you want my chiropractors phone number Branden. LOL.
    Great story!