Bites

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rob128146, May 8, 2008.

1. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    WHATS UP FELLOWS? HAVE A QUESTION FOR ANYONE THAT CAN HELP. I HAVE CATFISHED IN PONDS ALL MY LIFE BUT NOW I HAVE COME TO THE BIG WATERS (BADIN, TUCKERTOWN, HIGHROCK) RESENTLY STARTED LAST YEAR AND IM LOVING IT. CATCHING A FEW BUT NOT MANY. EVERYBODY KNOWS POND FISHING AND BODY OF WATER FISHING IS A LOT DIFFERENT. IM GETTING BITES BUT NOT CATCHING MANY. IM HAVING A PROBLEMS KNOWING WHEN TO SET THE HOOK. IN A POND WHEN THEY TAKE IT THEY TAKE IT. I GET A LOT OF BUMPS BUT NOT MANY PULL DOWNS????? IM CONFUSED AND STARTING TO LOOSE MY CONFIDENCE AND BEGINNING TO THINK IM NOT CUT OUT FOR THE BIG ONES. IM USING LIVE GILLS MOSTLY AND CUT SHAD SOMETIMES. I HAVE HEARD DIFFERENT SPECIES BITE DIFFERENT. IF YOU CAN HELP ME THEN PLEASE DO. AGAIN THANKS ALOT GUYS AND FISH ON.

2. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Rob, if you fish in abbotts creek on High Rock where High Rock Camp ground is from the bridge to past the campground about 100yds, on the campground side of the river channel using live goldfish, you will have great luck with flatheads. I have caught several 30+ lbrs there and at all times of the day. I think the bait shop where I got my gold fish is called Minnie's, on county road 8 below southmont. Good luck with it and keep me posted. I hope this helps

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the BOC rob

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well take a look at your bait, if its still there, this should tell you something. if its scaled you had a cat bite if its got a chunk missing gar or turtle if theres nothing wrong with it possable current. gar and channel alot of the time will bump or short pull blues and flat will usually go go go

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    welcome to the greatest catfishing club on earth. to help you out, first what kind of hooks are you using? most guys on here like to use circle hooks. size 4/0 and up. also, make sure that the tip of your hook is clearing the bait. that way the bait itself doesn't get in the way of the hookup.

6. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I was having same problem till i changed the hooks I was using and also the rig . Went to weight at bottom and bluegill rigged so it can swim up and down line but not get to bottom and get under weeds. The hook type i went to was a diachii circle with offset point . That small offset made all the difference in hooking the fish. Also make sure to hook bluegill slightly behind dorsal fin and below spinal column .

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    if the line goes sideways at the same time it pulls it is usually a turttle or a gar