Bite on/off After Barge goes by?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by shortshank, May 18, 2006.

1. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I was reading about the barge traffic on the rivers. What's your experience been...more or less bites after the barge?
    Don

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    :smile2:

It trips their trigger BIG TIME up here on the Ohio River. If there is any bite even if slow I get ready for Tabbies just as they are passing.

3. catfishcrazee

catfishcrazee Member

State:
    illinois
    seems like on the il. river the bite picks up, sometimes we will follow a barge and set up 2 or 3 times and catch fish.

4. flat1

flat1 New Member

State:
    WV
    the barge passin has hooked me up several times on the ohio

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I fished a lot of the Mighty Moe from Quincy to Nauvoo to Gladstone to Kiethsburg Illinois. It sure seems like, day or night, when a barge goes by the bite was on. It never lasted very long but was sure appreciated. I never fished around Gulfport..That's a different thread.
    Don

6. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yea id have to disagree with you. out here on the northern mississippi river, the bite slows down DRAMATICALLY. i hate those barges. 1. it knocks my dip bait off, 2. it scares the fish away, 3. it makes large waves when im in a boat or shore fishing.

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The bite seems to pick up here just after one goes by. Now if they stop and sit there the bite stops completely.

8. A barge coming by is usually good for a hit or two. Problem here is you better not be anchored anywhere on the water or the barge will flatten you. The river is that narrow upriver now down river there is more room but you better be completely away from the channel. Empty barges are also a good spot for squealer sized channels as well. They get parked up in a few sloughs and creeks and provide shade in the heat of summer.

9. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    the bite will pick up and the reason being is that the barges stir the water up. all the mud and silt and such on the bottom gets stirred and this in turn gets the bait fish and such all scurrying and thats when the cats attack!

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Did it do any good for you last weekend Baitkiller?
    I have seen it many times Don.

11. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think it really depends on the barge traffic of how frequent it is rather or not if this is an indicator. I have fished on many rivers as it could depend on the size of the water body also. It seemed to me that the bigger the river and the more traffic, the less the bite would occur. Perhaps they get used to it with the more traffic? Who knows?