Bite is still on in mississippi river

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Cattracker16, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    The wife and i went to muscatine put the boat in and tooled down the river, went a spot "friend of mines dock" to catch some shad with the cast net. only threw a few times and had about 8 or 9 shad. i didn't think that was too bad, the wife says hey i think you have enough of them lets get going. LOL so we meander over to a wing dam and commence to bait up. I desided i'd use some of the fresh caught shad. and a another rod i'd use stinky bait. the wife is sticking to stinky. well we fished there for about 5 minutes and WHAM fish on, darn she got the 1st fish. not too bad was about 5 lbs or so.
    In the mean time i sitting there waiting patiently for my bait caster to start singing.. Never happened. at that spot then Wham she catches another one on stinky bait another nice cat about 6-7 lbs. I was like what the heck i'm sitting in the same boat and didn't even get a hit.
    We fished that spot for another 30 or so minutes with no hits for me.
    So we headed into the back water where i knew there was a slight hole 9 foot to 14 foot slow drop.
    Now that is where I had the best luck i ended up catching a cat after about 25-30 minutes of sitting there.
    We had a great time and ended up with 7 keepers. I even ended up catching a fresh water Drum on a shad i had to guess that the drum was 5-7 lb range.
    All in all was a great day on the mississippi river specially after a slump in catching. 1st time using shad and i caught fish with them.

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey i went to the wilton gas shop today to fuel up. im in camanche here and probably 30 to 45 minutes away from you. well im goin to try stinkbait later this evening so ill see yea on the water i hope! :lol:

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Sounds like a pretty good trip, Kenny - 7 keepers. There's some really big ones in there, maybe you'll get one next time out!!

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sounds like you had a good trip. I'll take shad over stink bait any ol day. Now if I could just get the catfish to think the same thing. LOL

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like a good trip, congrats. Kutter I agree with you.

6. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey you guys on the Mississippi near Davenport , if you need a partner or at least someone to help pay for the gas let me know. Bank fishing is ok but it seems awful limited here in the Davenport area. Caught 4 at Credit Island but just as it gets dark the Park people shut down the park.

7. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC. duane. best outdoors site you'll find.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Daune,Welcome to the BOC. Why do they shut the park down at dark. That just ain't fair for to the people who enjoy the evening hours. Enjoy the site your gonna love it here.Check out your states forum on here,you might find a fishing partner.

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Well i have a funny feeling why the shut down the park @ nite time. drugs and other activities. the had news channel 8 there one day not a good place to hang out from what they had to say unless you like to be propositioned.

And duane if you want to go out on the river shoot me a PM maybe we could hook up and hit the river and hopefully hook up some cats

10. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Sounds like a good day on the Mississippi, it is always good to let the wife catch a few first sometimes.

11. smitty1

smitty1 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have to agree, the blues are hitting on the mississippi also.. We are in the Alton, Il. area and North. We went sunday, got there about 7 a.m. and fished till about 4 p.m. and ended up catching 67 all together. We caught a 44, 41, 34, 31, 27, 26, 23, 21, 18 and a 17 pounder. That was all we weighed. The rest averaged 7-15 lbs. Best day I have ever had...... Landed my personal best on friday a 60 pounder.... didnt catch many that day, I think 12 all together but that big one made up for it. All fish were released for someone else to enjoy like we did....... Good luck fishing.
    Remember.... a fish released will provide enjoyment for many......a fish cooked will provide enjoyment for one.......

12. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    as if i had anything to do with it..LOL but you are correct in that respect.. she loved it, but she didn't rub it in tooo bad.

Kenny

13. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    mind me asking what you were using for bait and were you sitting still or drifting? Thanks Kenny

14. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Dang, Kenny and Chris you guys both caught some nice fish.
    I for sure will be hitting the Mississippi next year after hearing a report like that.
    I will have to venture some where south of the twin cities, about 2 hrs. drive from where I'm at. I'll also have to start scoping the map for landings.
    Any way, wow, nice catch.

15. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kenny, Thanks for the offer. Will take you up on that..Cant send a PM right now as I only have 6 (now7) posts. I guess I could just fill the board with idle posts but dont really want to do that... You can email me at Leftbsideroad@aol.com
    Duane