Bite Alarms .....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Feb 5, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Does anyone use bite alarms for any of their reels without clickers on them> If so Nake and model and what do you think of them? Like do they work well or are they a pain in the butt?

2. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    My wife got the bite buzzer for me.
    It was a nice birthday present.
    Ihave not used it yet.
    But cant wait. Might be a site for it.
    Hope this helps a little.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've got one but haven't tried it out yet.:crazy:

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I saw a rod & reel combo at wally world the other day that had a switch on the bottom of it that turned on an audible alarm & a flashing red light when u got a bite!!!!

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ive got 2 christmas like sleigh bells you can get them in the walmart sewing section, put them on with a bread twisty so they dont fly off. put it on the tip but not in th eye but in th little support bracket there. bigger the better mine are actually off a sleigh bell :big_smile: :cool2:

6. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have tried most, I like bells the best, or at night a bell and light stick.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a light stick at night and sometimes my clicker, but I usually tight line. The way I see it, you should be watching your pole, if you aren't what are you doing, camping and hoping to catch a fish, or fishing and trying to catch one? :big_smile:
    My advice is not to bother with them, because they will become a bother. lol.:wink:

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    NEVER TRIED THEM

9. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, you know us old farts can't see our poles, thats why I need a bell :smile2:

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I don't use any type of alarm. I do use light sticks to help see at night.

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Dademoss ... You got that right .... with the years of wisdom also comes the weakening of the eyes and and the ears .... especially in the dark ...

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What did you say? huh? What bell? lol :smile2::smile2::smile2:
    thats why I stare at them all night. It helps if you have white rods though. I painted an old blue one years ago and it still catches fish!. I thought the paint might effect the pole varnish, but didn't. Now I just buy white ones.:wink:

13. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i always used to use glowsticks taped to the end of the rod to see tip movement or a bell. they worked pretty good for me.

14. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    All right Jack .... your day or night is coming ... give you a few more years ... you will have to have a seeing eye dog to let you know when the fish are biting ....:smile2::smile2: Se I usually use a light ... but I know some guys that I might want to fish with don't so I am trying to be prepared ... :cool2:

15. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I've used bells in the past when I didn't have a clicker or a bait feeder reels.

16. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    I bought some of those little bite alarms a couple of years ago. Didn't like em! Plus when the battery runs out you can't replace em. They are sealed units.

I bought 2 of the Zebco Haug catcher combos at B@ss Pro with the light and buzzers. Will try next time out. Them seem cool.

I'm a sucker for the bells and wistles thought. I have bought more junk than good.

Bells and light sticks work about the best and they will not kill your wallet!!!

17. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use glowsticks, too... tired bells, just didn't like 'em... guess I'm like jack - I like to sit and stare at my poles in the dark... :smile2:

18. E.T.

E.T. New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Glowsticks have always been trustworthy to me. I also use a pop can set up as well. What i do is take a pop can & fill about 1/8 of it with rocks ( rocks make plenty of noise when the can falls over) Then i set the can beside the rod in the holder. I then open my bail to release enough line to rest behind the tab on the can. Make sure not to leave to much slack in your line though. Once you get a bite the fish will pull the line enough to tip the can alertng you that you have a bite. If thats not quite enough then I clip a bell on the side of the can ultimately creating more of an alert without having to hear the bell the entire time you real in your fish. If the bait is a little to excited for the pop can you can always add more rocks or push it down in the sand or mud enough to prevent the can from tipping.:wink::big_smile:

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Eric brings up a good point. My buddy tried one a few years ago. When he got bit by a determined cat he didn't have the spare time to try and turn off the bite alarm. Man' what a noise to put up with while you try and fight a fish! lol We gave them the thumbs down after that.:big_smile:

20. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    That is a good point and one of the answers I was for ..... I saw one being used on TV a while back, but it was one that you laid your rod on and when you picked it up there was no longer any contact .... therefore no noise ... but I haven't seen one like that on the market
    Garry-:cool2: