Bite Alarms

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by savage270, Jan 28, 2010.

1. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    Has anyone tried any of the electronic buzz/LED strike alarms? I was searching and this particular type/model looks to be the best: http://www.fishalarm.gr/

what do you think?

2. festus

festus New Member

The one you're talking about is about $9.99 each. But their webpage is in Arabic, Hebrew, or some other language I can't read. I attached a photo of another brand of fish alarm that's $7.99. The one you posted is probably better.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Looks interesting, might be nice to have sometimes, price is ok, not sure I would spend more on one.

4. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I use something way cheaper and well ya can go down to walmart and get two in a pack for around 2.50
    It looks like a tiny cow bell that has a tiny medal clip on it. It clips to the end of your pole and it makes a loud enough noise that i use it right up against the locks at the river

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    A buddy of mine here in ca. found an item on ebay...... it is a baby's radio thing.... you can sit the pole out like you normally do, and then be in your truck catching some ZZZZZZZ and when it goes off at the pole it transmitts to his receiver....

Need to get back to him on how it works....

personally, I like the lights that attach to the tip of pole..... easy to see when looking out to the poles.... and together with the bell.... its a winning combination....

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    If it's not in English I'm not buyin it!!

catfishfearme likes this.
  7. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    Check with Eich, he probably knows all about them. They are mostly used by carp fishermen.

8. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    I understand the whole not made in America debate and keeping money local, but if a similar product isn't made here in the good ol' US of A, I supposed I have to buy internationally... besides, everything is made in China now-a-days so how could Greece be any worse?!?! Sometimes you have to support ingenuity/design rather than support the country its made in.

I have tried the clip on bells but the plastic piece that attaches always breaks over time or my line gets caught up in it sometimes. The alarms they have for carp fishing that screws into the rod holder, I think that design works better for spinning reels where the line slides into the slot as the rod rests on the top groove. I use both spinning and casting reels so I wanted something that I could use with either type.

I placed 3 on order from eBay and they were shipped out last week so i'll make a video or post pictures once they arrive.

9. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    So it took about 3 weeks for it to come...

I have to say.. from the looks and touch of it, this is a quality made product. It is a motion and line out type of alarm and the sensitivity of both can be set to strong or soft.

I went fishing this past weekend and wish I had it then. I used bells and forgot my glowsticks at home and it was so dark that when a bell went off I couldn't tell which rod had the bite. Another plus to this is that it mounts the the base of the rod so that I dont have to keep reaching for the tip of the rod to put on/take off the bells I was using before and after casting. The product even came with extra set of batteries. I havent tried it out on real fishing applications but as soon as I go I will take pictures or video and share. But for now you can see from the pic that its not that big or bulky.

NOTE though... if you buy from them dont expect it to come by the weekend of your next fishing trip and dont wait at the mailbox everyday for it. The shipping is a bit slow but that can be expected since its coming from Greece.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  10. bigmike971

bigmike971 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I found some on catfish connection. I got this one but havent been able to try it yet.

HT ENT MICRO STRIKE INDICATOR LIGHT

Sorry I couldnt copy the webpage for some reason.

11. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    I use pop/beer can's on top of my bait casters, i put a can on then when line go's out it fall's off and hit's the other can or can's.

bluejay likes this.
  12. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    I know exactly which ones you are talking about. I bought the BassPro brand a while back before I even knew about catfish connection... Basspro charged almost double :excruciating:! This alarm is really bright and really really loud but one downside and the reason I dont use it any more is that the thin clip bends easily and once bent it wont make the metal to metal connection to complete the circuit :( So be kinda careful with it and try not to accidently pull upwards on the clip...

I've been playing around with the ones I ordered and I think it just may be the perfect alarm... we'll see how they work when I get a chance to get out there and fish again.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  13. StacyR

StacyR New Member

State:
    Boise, ID
    Those carp fishermen are crazy for that kind of stuff. There's even ones that come with a pager that you carry around, and when one of the rods gets a bite, it beeps you. You can buy all kinds of nifty stuff meant for overseas anglers on ebay. Some parts of the world have much more advanced gear of certain types than you can find here.

Personally, the most electronically advanced bite alarm I've used has been the little bells on a spring. Hard to tell which pole is getting a bite in the dark, though. I did order a set of five that have an LED light attached off of ebay, though. They looked pretty neat, and the price was about a dollar each. I haven't gotten them yet but will be sure to post my experience with them once I do.

14. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I remember when I learned the lesson of removing the bell before I set the hook. I think the bell landed somewhere on the moon.

15. StacyR

StacyR New Member

State:
    Boise, ID
    LOL! Right now I use the screw on bells you can buy at the tackle store, but I don't care for them. They take too long to get on and off the rod for casting. I could probably leave them on if I were using mono, but I use braid and sometimes the line will get wrapped up in the little springs. Plus the quality is just not there. Every single one I've got at the moment has one bell on it, because the other one dropped off and landed in the water.

16. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    hahahahahahah! Most of mine only have one bell too! I learned that you have to take them off before you cast or you'll see an extra splash on the water!

What works MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better are BINDER CLIPS! I use small binder clips and just attach the bells to it. You can get bells from any hobby store or left over christmas jingle bells, lol. They are really tight, cost next to nothing and WONT come off on a cast or in seokfisherman's case... wont land on the moon!

17. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    I know which ones you're talking about! A buddy of mine ordered some, I think they're from Hong Kong, not sure... anyway... be prepared to replace the batteries that came with it. My friend used them and in about one hour they started to fade and by the second hour they were totally out. On a brighter note... you also have the option of removing the LED part of the clip and you can attach a glowstick to it...

I'm tellin ya... the ones I ordered are way worth the 3 week wait and the cost. glowsticks and bells and trying different things add up in the end, well, unless they're beer cans... at least your thirst is quenched! but yeah, trust me... i'm glad I bought these.

18. StacyR

StacyR New Member

State:
    Boise, ID
    So far the batteries have lasted for me, but I've only had them on for a short time. Replacements are super cheap, though. You can get them on ebay 100 for less than $2.50 shipped. Wish they used the same batteries for lighted bobbers.

19. regulator220

regulator220 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  20. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I won one of these from on here years and years ago used it once and won't ever use it again . I like to use glowsticks bells and alarms are pretty worthless if the wind is blowing.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010