Bird's not gobbling on the ground

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by peglegreb, Apr 7, 2008.

1. peglegreb

peglegreb New Member

State:
    s.c.
    How miny of yall have had thIs happen to you?
    there you are sitng in the woods with the birds gobbling there head of . and when thay hit the ground thay shut up. do yall think it is the cyotes that caouse this to happen.

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    not sure I seen alot of turkey yesterday at the lake but your right they wasnt gobbling once they was on the ground, I have no clue why that is it could be the coyotes, or other animals in the area

3. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i myself think there being cautios, alert because when this happens too me i'll take off stalk'n them trying too see what's going on . in all case's i get in with'n about 100 yrd's where the tom is just strutt'n with about 5 hen's . i've sat there and called too them but the tom won't come in , on the other hand the hen's will come in about 30 yrd's or so . this happen's too me more at the begining of the season , i think there just proccupied with the hen's they already have .

4. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i dont know about around there but around here thats just what they do. they gobble a lot in the morning then stay quiet when they hit the ground. its not impossible to get them to gobble more but they dont gobble nearly as much. i use the early morning gobble times to locate them and get in close

5. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    again thats just what they do, the toms wont come in because they are too busy tending the hens they have.. if you had 5 gorgeous women that you had to keep other guys off of would you leave them alone with other guys around to go find one thats off in the trees somewhere. the way to get the toms to come is to get the hens pissed off and you can do this by interrupting them when they are yelping makin whatever noises or you can just copy what they do. make sure your louder than they are

6. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    any luck yet will ? my season opens next sat , man i'm freak'n pumped !!!

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The turkeys quit gobbling when they hit the ground because the horny hens are already there waiting for them! Toms gobble to attract the hens to them. Later in the season when the hens are on the nest, they'll gobble all day long looking for a lonely hen.

8. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    ya hit it right on the head doug!! Fellas all the hens are getting bred right now. like doug said the toms just have to get thehens "thinned out" so to speak and they will open up. best thing ive found to do is start roosting the hens if possible and set up the following morning as close as possible without spooking them. when they fly down hopefully you will intercept a tom on the way to the hens that are close. there's nothing better than live "decoys". good luck

9. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I think alot of it has to do with coyotes and dogs. Been running into the same problem here.

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i agree with the hens being bred. but, the number one thing i have seen silence a turkey, is an idiot with a boxcall. c'mon now, youve all heard them. you know that one guy who hits his calls like he's having a seizure. i got to listen to that exact scenario play out 2 weekends ago. it was a beautiful morning. birds gobblin' everywhere. all of the sudden... squawk-yelp-squawk-yelp. over and over like nails on a chalk board. youd have thought all the birds flew to canada for the spring. then again, nuthin' sounds as sexy as an actual hen turkey. ctach them on the fly down. game over.

11. peglegreb

peglegreb New Member

State:
    s.c.
    Well I know why now. I went yesterday evning. and put one to bed.
    I went back this morning and I set up about 50 yards from him.
    when it got daylight he started and gobbled about 20 times.when he hit the ground he shut up.thin he ran to the decoy when I shot him I started to get him and thin I had to shot the cyoteto get my 101/2" beard and 3/4" hooks.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    This is my take on it also. I did find a big gobbler track by itself today, thats a good sign. I've had the hens stick it to me many times.:confused2:

13. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I agree with Doug and John aka Countryhart the toms are hened up as soon as they fly down, set tight and wait till after ten when the hens hit the timber and Old Tommy Tom wants to strut his stuff. Then call to locate and pull the sneak, but remember old heney is close by somewhere on the timber edge.

14. duckaholic

duckaholic New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i heard two birds gobble their heads off this morning until about 10:30 or so.
    But they had a half a dozen hens with them:wink:

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If he answered ya and you can sit tite. When those huzzies go to the nest, tommie boi will likely come back lookin for you. I'm sort of a run an gun style hunter and it's EXTREMELY hard for me to practice what i preach. Patience hell, lets make it happen.:eek:oooh: My run an gun often should be termed Rush an Flush:smile2:

16. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm not really sure but we had one on the other side of a flooded creek trying to get him to fly across and he was gobbling on the ground for an easy hour then the owl hooters started after him around 08:30 and he shut up and never heard another sound out of him. I think when they get pressured they shut up, and also everything in the woods is trying to kill them.

17. duckaholic

duckaholic New Member

State:
    south carolina
    While at the gate of our land waiting on peglegreb, I heard a bird gobble right by the truck. Knowing that David was a mile for the gate, I yelped a few times
    and it was on!!!!!:wink: Twenty minutes later I had a 18lb. 10 1/4 inch beard and 11/4 spurs on the truck on my way to the house:big_smile:

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats Jason, bet ya partner will be a lil' bit earlier next round.:wink: