BIRDS NEST using Ambassadeur!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by ZachDinicola, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ZachDinicola

ZachDinicola Member

State:
    Greatbend/Hays
    so went out to la cygne this weekend and hooked up on some pretty good channels.. water was flowing pretty good out of the discharge.. i made the mistake of not setting the drag on my new ambassadeur.. yea you guessed it.. bad birds nest, went from 100yards of line to about 40 =P.. good news is now i have it set right.. and i also got to try out my old school pflueger that my dad handed down to me who had it handed down from his dad.. 3rd generation and going strong =P..

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    It always seems to take an experience like that right off the bat. At least now ya got the drag set, not like if it was later and ya had a big one and lost it. I"ve had to re-adjust my drag with a fish on, and had to put the reel in free spool to do it. Sucks. now you are set tho, go get em.

3. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    Remembering back in my teens,catching bullheads from the creek on my old zebco's. I learned that you could sometimes unsnag yourself by pulling tight and pushing the thumb button. The instant release would throw the oversized sinker ahead of the hook. Sometimes you got lucky.

Didn't work so well the 1st time I tried that on a baitcaster. :shock:

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    The first time I set the hook on a fish using a baitcaster with a thumb bar put me in the best of moods beings I was 45min from home and had no other poles or line. That one didn't make the drive home.

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I carry a knitting needle with the hooked end on it for just such emergencies. Saves a lot of line and cutting most often. The upside of bird nests is that it gives you an opportunity to practice those expletive deletives that you thought you have forgotten over the years. lol Stay safe and good fishing!!!:flag:

6. sportsmanfromkc

sportsmanfromkc New Member

State:
    kansas
  7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    gonna try it now lol reps if it works lol

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well ill be a monkeys poo it worked like a charm reps comin

9. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thats pretty :glasses-cool: I am going to try it later this year with braid I would think it would work with braid just don't know if the handle turns would dig in or not.

Will let everyone know if it works or not.

10. ZachDinicola

ZachDinicola Member

State:
    Greatbend/Hays
    wow great idea.. reading that was sorta like an epiphany to me.. i have seen the light :laugh1:

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I've been using that trick for years, works 95% of the time. Believe me, I earned my user name. :curse::laugh1:

12. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Normally I can get out most backlashes...but... the worst are when I have hooked something on the backswing. You know..tree, log, dog or fishing parther..then follow through with the cast. That usually guarantees a cut out....:tongue1: