birdfish

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Hookman, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Hookman

Hookman New Member

State:
    dELYRIAs ohio
    I (Hookman) and two of our brothers, catwolf and pony, went fising today 11/26/06 at the mouth of the Black river at Lake Erie. We didn't catch any fish BUT!!! A barge came through and so did a hugh flock of seagulls. catwolf caught two seagulls at the same time while casting out for BIG BLUE!!!!!!!! Somehow the birds got intangled in his 20lb. test braded spider wire while in flight. I got niped while trying to get the line off the birds wings. It took 15 to 20 min. for us to safely pull the birds in to shore and release them. the line was wraped around and thourgh the birds wings. Both birds where released UNHARMED

Any one else have an experience like this?

are they any good too eat HA HA HA
    ....hookman....

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had that happen to me once on Acton Lake with a goose. Only it was leaving the lake when it got my line all I could do was watch as it reeled off all my line.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yea I have caught brown pelcans on the gulf things won`t:0a5: leave you along

4. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    They taste just like chicken:lol:

5. Hookman

Hookman New Member

State:
    dELYRIAs ohio
    thanks guys!!! i thought there was going to be more of you but i guess it is not as common as i thought. i have caught a lot of birds but the worst one, by far, was a pelican. 4 ft. wings can beat you up real good. ....hookman....

6. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is kind of common in this area. Every year I have fishing buddies and aquiantences that snag either seagulls while fishing Wiper boils. Loons and coots are also caught around here every year. A lot of guys I know, me included, carry thick gloves when Wiper fishing now because it is a real possibility to have one end up on your line, and having some protection from either the bird's beak or braided lines can save a person from a nasty wound.

However, I've only known two people that have latched into a Pelican. And you are right on. Those poor fellows got pretty beat up on the catch and release program with one of those behemoths.

7. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We don't have many seagulls in my area, but I don't think mine would have been unharmed if I caught them:big_smile: :cool2: I hate those birds:angry: