Birdfeeders & Birdhouses

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Patmansc, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Anyone build any bird feeders or houses that you would like to share some info on? I got tired of waiting for my house to sell in Denver so I went out today and bought a 15amp Hitachi tablesaw at Lowes & I'm back in the sawdust-making business! Since we have so many birds in back, thought that I might try my hand at making some feeders & houses for them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Put "birdhouses" or "bird feeders" in google. There are a bunch of good sites out there. I used to have the url's but can't find them riight now.

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My wifes grandfather makes some feeders for orioles, really easy to make you need:

1- 1"x4" about 18 inches long
    3- good sized nails
    1- orange halved

Hammer a nail about 3/4 inch into the board about 4 inches from the end on each end, then hammer to a tree between 6-8 feet from the ground place orange halves on the first two nails. You now have an oriole feeder.

Aaron

TA2D

4. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Wow - that's pretty easy, Aaron. But I don't think that there's any Orioles round here?

5. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here is a link for some ideas on building bird houses or feeders. I have a bird house that I build for a hobby, for which I have the proto-type. If I can find the original plan, I will scan and send as attachment. Hope this was helpful.

http://birding.about.com/od/buildhouses/

6. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks for the suggestion, Jeb - I'll do a google search later this evening. And Tom, that's an excellent site - I just took a quick peek. Think that I"m gonna try the bluebird nest first. When I'm done I'll post some pics, but gotta get a new camera 1st 'cause the old one just crapped out on me a coupla days ago :eek:oooh:

7. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Locate a lumber mill out in the country and get some of the first cut slabs for making your birdhouses or feeders.

First cut slabs still have the bark on them. These give a more natural look and the bark looks a lot better than a painted house. Just remember to put several small nails through the bark into the wood under the bark so that when the bark dries it doesn't fall off.

Jesse