Birdfeeder question?????

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Bill D Curtis, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    I live in Blackwell in northern OK I have been feeding birds for years but this winter we have not had one cardinal visit our feeder my dad lives across town same thing Iwas wondering if people across the state are seeing any usally this time of year we enjoy many pairs as they start mating courtships:0a21:

2. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I have no idea, but if you get an answer about canary's on a catfishing website, you've gotta love it!

3. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Bill,

I've got a couple of feeders at the house. Both of them are filled with sunflower seeds. And I have several cardinals that come to the feeder all the time. Sunflower seeds are their favorite, so if you aren't heavy on those you may not get many. Our feeders get the most business just after the sun comes up and just before it goes down.

Seems like everything likes to feed then...birds, catfish, me! I usually get to pop a few squirrels raiding the feeder, too, first thing in the morning.

4. barney leonard

barney leonard New Member

State:
    Mannford,OK
    Bill I have also seen a few cardinals in the last couple of days.

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Bill, I actually worked as an Ornithologist for seven years. The only thing that I can think of would be a change in habitat in your area. As I am sure you know, they love the brush and thickets for foraging, nesting and shelter. Where we live now, we don't have too much of this habitat near our house. So we don't get many at the feeder. Also, the brown-headed cowbirds parasitize their nests frequently. Have you noticed more cowbirds in your area?

Cardinals also love white safflower seeds. That will bring them in like a magnet!

6. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    no cowbirds Ialways run them off with my trusty daisy lol just dont understand where the cardinals are same feeder same habitat just no cardinals:sad2:

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not anywhere close to where you live. A very hard winter here, snowing now. I read your post and went to look at our feeders.

My count is 35 hens and cock Cardinals with everything else that is out there. They are eating sunflower hearts and corn. They will eat out the peanut feeders when the woodpeckers let them. We have had a Merlin beating on them and they don't seem phased now.

I'll catch a few for ya and send them down. John.