Biologist advises closure of lock @ Watts Bar Dam to deter Asian Carp threat

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by zachM54, Jan 30, 2020.

1. zachM54

zachM54 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Zach
    Already have Silver Carp in Chickamauga and we don't need them in Watts Bar. Capture.JPG

Nuclear Bill and Brackish*Water like this.
  2. Herbhome

Herbhome Well-Known Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    Can they do that? Don't the river boats have to get through? And probably more important, could it work?

zachM54 and Brackish*Water like this.

3. zachM54

zachM54 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Zach
    It's doubtful they'll close. Matter of fact I'm not sure it's been proven yet there are really silver carp in Chickamauga or it's a rumor.

Nuclear Bill and Brackish*Water like this.
  4. Herbhome

Herbhome Well-Known Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    Watched a Jeremy Wade documentary on the Mississippi the other day and he showed how the carp have made it north on the river but are not in twin cities yet. They, (biologists), believe it may be due to the series of locks and dams.

5. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    I wish every one of those things would go belly up

6. prlwng

prlwng Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    Would be nice if here in South Dakota we could use them as cut bait. They are spooky when you are anchored and one jumps into boat as you are napping.

7. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Wasn't long ago they were a rarity where I fish in the Ohio and to be honest I got a little kick out of seeing one jump 5-6 ft. out of the water. In the past several years they are no longer a rarity, they are everywhere there is slack water. I have had them come in the boat and dent live well lids, break a sonar mount, and tear our wiring from under the console, not to mention the "unwelcome" slime and whatever that red stuff they secrete is getting all over the boat. As far as closing a lock to block their migration up river I would think it would have to be closed forever as they would be stacked up below the dam just waiting. Should be a lesson in there somewhere about importing non native species and how nature can negate even the most secure containment systems.

Brackish*Water likes this.
  8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Any measures taken can only slow their progress. Maybe not in our lifetimes but I believe they will ultimately get everywhere.
    Of course there are those with a vested commercial interest in processing the carp for food who will most likely be glad to see them proliferate.
    They do make decent bait though.

...W

Brackish*Water and Big Sam like this.
  9. Hurst11

Hurst11 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Nathan Hurst
    You would think with all the friggin technology today they could make something to put in the water that is made off of their dna that will only target that fish. Something that would make them steril. It wouldn’t get rid of what’s already here but drastically slow the spread of em and after x amount of year the population start dropping. Hey we can wish right.

10. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    Great blue cat bait! Here is my preferred method for slabs!

11. 135 Driver

135 Driver New Member

State:
    TN
    Name:
    Andrew
    The TWRA confirmed asian carp in Chickamauga two weeks ago. Not a rumor. I saw it on their Facebook page and local news.

12. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    I have had that theory about ticks and skeeters for years but I am still waiting.

Brackish*Water and Hurst11 like this.
  13. Hurst11

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Nathan Hurst
    One would think so

14. Panfish Bill

Panfish Bill Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Bill
    Not a rumor anymore. This one jumped into a Bass fishermans boat and he saw 20 more swimming around. It looks young so it had to been spawned in Guntersville or Wheeler. If it was spawned around the Chick then we have a huge problem... or a new bait supply.

3d254a08-8442-4fc9-9289-f09fcd5ff27d-large16x9_SilvercarpcaughtonChickamaugaLakeTWRA.jpg

Brackish*Water and eastforker like this.
  15. Hurst11

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Nathan Hurst
    Bill you have both a huge problem and new bait supply. But it will lower the bait supply of other baitfishes too.

16. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I think it is more of just a huge problem.

Brackish*Water and Jbuck like this.
  17. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Yes, I agree the availability of them as bait does not IMO outweigh the problem(s) they cause.

18. Smashdn

Smashdn Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    Daniel
    You don't want them. They are thick in the Ohio and Green Rivers where I fish. There has been some success reported of the acoustical barrier at Lake Barkley (Cumberland river Reservoir). Hopefully that is a good first step.

Dams don't stop them unless there is a significant difference in pool heights. They went over/around/through four dams on the Green river and another one on the Barren River. All but two were decommissioned low head lock and dams. When the water gets up they just head upstream.