biodegradable fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by n2fishn, Sep 22, 2009.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Just recieved a spool of bioLine that is 100% biodegradable.
    Say's it made from 100% biodegradable polymer and is designed to conserve the enviroment.
    It's only good to reatain 100% of its tensile strength for about 10-12 months on the reel.

100lb test is engineered to bioegrade if lost in the water in about 5yrs compaired to over 600 yrs on mono or flurocabron.

Going to give it a try and see how it works.

I'm not sure if this stuff is on the market yet.Has anyone heard of this line?

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds very interesting. Is it made by a known brand?
    Id definately try it out.
    It would also make you change your line out every season, which is a good idea anyway. Wonder if its made for people who fish as much as we do?:smile2:
    Tom is Goin Green!!:wink::smile2:

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Tom is it the Bioline company? If so I was looking at that the other night.

Most fishing line that you can buy today is made of monofilament. It is a single-strand, strong, flexible plastic that is clear or tinted in a variety of colors. Most monofilament is non-biodegradable and can take over 500 years to decompose. Because it is thin and often clear, it is very difficult for fish, birds and animals to see, and they can easily brush up against it and become entangled in it. Once entangled, they may become injured, drown, get strangled or starve to death.
    Now a company named Bioline has created a biodegradable monofilament fishing line that decomposes in about 5 years.
    Bioline biofilament fishing line biodegrades in the environment in five years. Used properly, this is the only characteristic you’ll never notice.
    What you will notice is superior casting distance and exceptional knot strength, along with outstanding UV and abrasion resistance. Bioline does not absorb water like traditional monofilaments and its characteristics do not change as it’s fished. And yes, should you break off a leader or length of line, it will be gone in five years versus six hundred.
    Stored in its original package, Bioline has a five-year shelf life. Once spooled on a reel, the line will retain 100% of its strength for a period of 10 to 12 months, with no special handling. http://www.biolinefishing.com/

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kyle thanks for sharing. I was not aware of this line. Interesting.

5. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I am super glad ya posted this. I was just thinking the other day about the line. Last time i went bank fishing the river went down. I picked up Lord only knows how much broken off line with treble hooks and sinkers and well who only knows. I too, wonder what might happen thirty fourty years from now if that much line is already in our rivers.....
    Just trying to look out for my future grand kids and a bit of being selfish too. I look forward every day to teaching my grand kids to fish and enjoy the land

6. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I'm going to check out this Bioline.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    does any 1 know how much this line is gonna cost per 300 yard spool.

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bummer, the biggest spool and test is 210 yds of 12lb test. Maybe they will get into the 20# to 40# test market in the future if their line sales well.

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Correction: Just found it under Bioline News on their website, they do offer 20# in 180yd spools, MSRP $14.95, and a list of online sites to purchase from.

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    The spool i have is only 6# test but i'm going to try it for crappie fishing this winter to see how it works.

I really like the idea of this line, and I think in the future they will have it in all test weight and might someday be the only line we will be able to use.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's a neat idea, normal mono will break down pretty fast in sunlight, but it doesn't get much sunlight if it's under water.

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds nice but I don't understand why after 11-12 months on a reel, it needs replaced. Does the line start to lose strength as soon as it hits the air. I would hope strength is not being lost while the line is sitting in warehouses or on shelves for sale.

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    It say's when it's in the re-seal package it will last for 5 yrs.
    After being out in the weather/air its 100% tensile strenght is only 10-12 months.