BIO Diesel

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by chadf, Nov 10, 2007.

1. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
  2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    never tried it as i dont own a diesel but have seen it on various shows, and they also sell kits to make it @ home

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    We use some at work. We have started using biodiesel in some of our trucks, on a trial basis. So far no problems. These vehicles just smell like french fries while running, which could be a problem cause it could make you hungry all the time.:roll_eyes: Now, one of the local electrical utilities tried to use biodiesel, and they eventually stopped because they had so many troubles with it. I never did hear what the specific problems were though. I do know that if you have an older diesel, the biodiesel tends to eat fuel system components, as it eats the old rubber o-rings and anything else rubber. Probably has a lot to do with the methanol drying out the rubber. Biodiesel is a very good solvent! Also, some diesel engine manufacturers do not recommend using 100% biodiesel so this may be an issue if you vehicle is under warranty (ask before using). Some of the manufacturers only recommend up to 10 or 20% biodiesel blends.

4. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD

Just be careful if you get the kit to make your own. Seen on the news a couple months ago where the government came to a guys house to tell him he owed thousands of dollars in fuel taxes on his homemade fuel. Lucky for him they were willing to work out a deal, and he was able to set up a payment plan. Amazing, the government supposedly wants us to use less oil, but then they tax us for doing it....go figure. :crazy:

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    one bad thing about biodiesel fuels is it does'nt burn as clean. no big deal right? wrong. the new diesels are starting to use particulate traps in front of the converters. after the trap starts to get full of junk, it "regenerates". basically retards fuel timing on cruising speeds to dump fuel and oxygen out the manifold and into the trap. it heats the particulate trap to an extreme temperature, turns all the particulate into ash and then it goes downstream into the converter. after so many regenerations, the converter fills up and plugs with ash. bio-diesel fuels accelerate this rate tremendously. at this point the converter will need to be replaced. on a 2007 ram truck. the converter is priced at around $5,000.00. i hope you saved a bundle on fuels. cause now your gonna need it to replace the converter.....

6. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I work for City of Columbus, Ohio--We have been using bio for a while(not sure exactly how long) Be sure to keep watch on your fuel filters as the different make up of bio may have caused a degraration of the interior of some fuel tanks.. Also-it may have the effect of degrading some 'o' rings and/or fuel system components. You may also suffer some MPG loss. The new vechicles have been set up for it, some older ones need to be watched. :big_smile::big_smile: Howard M.

7. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i think some of you need to get on the web and do some reading, not only is it safe to use on vehcals later then 1995 it is as cheaper to make and use.if this blows your mind try using svo, that means straight vegetable oil. and yes it can be done. try typeing in biodeasel.com, good luck

8. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD

Nobody was implying it wasn't safe to use, we just stated that on older vehicles it eats the rubber components of the fuel system (they are made of different materials than the newer stuff) And yes, you are correct about being cheaper. Like you mentioned, it wont hurt the engine, but many times it causes trouble with other fuel system components of the vehicle. History fact for you: Rudolph Diesel (the inventor of the diesel engine) ran his first engines on peanut oil! Only reason i know this is because i did a paper on him in high school.

9. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have been using 11% soydiesel in my 96 ford pickup for three yearas now. In the winter I have the local service company put in sure flow additive. No problems . Starts better , less smoke out the exhaust and the mileage is the same.

I also have been using 20 % soy diesel in my farm tractors. About 2000 gallon a year. Been using it for three years. no problems. No lost proformance. The tractors range in age from a 1970 to 1982 to a 1996 combine. It will clean out your tank . Soy diesel is a great solvent. Just change your filters a couple of times and you are ok. One thing also soy diesel adds lubricity to the fuel system.

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    A lot of folks around here run bio. Biggest proble is its acidic so it gives your fuel lines a good cleaning. Regular diesel leaves alot of deposits in the fuel system and the bio removes them. Problem with that is the first 1200 miles you run you better have an extra fuel filter in the truck. You will lose about 1.5 miles to a gallon after switching as it takes more to make the power of regular. like said before you will need to pay your road tax. Or at least a little to make it look like your paying:wink:. You can make your own processor out of a hot water heater and a few extras. Called an appleseed processor. Lots of web sites out there that will sell you the plans for fairly cheap. All together it'll run you about $300.00. Not to much considering its less than a buck before the tax to make. I never started myself because the wife thinks I'll burn down the house and I personally don't have confidance enough to dump some mixture I made into a $50K truck. I also feel that now that Bio-diesel plants are being built that our good old government will step in and say that waste oil will have to be given to the EPA for proper disposal. Eventualy resturants will not be able to give it to the public due to "contamination risks." Least thats what they will say. Theres a gas station bout a mile from here selling B85, but its only a few cents cheaper than regular. All and all I'd like to see everyone run bio and keep american money making american fuel instead of building indoor ski slopes in the middle east.