BIO DIESEL? DO ANY OF YOU GUYS MAKE IT?

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by duckgetr, Feb 24, 2008.

1. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i'M WANTING TO START MAKING BIO DIESEL BUT AM SCARED I'M GOING TO SCREW UP MY TRUCK. HAVE ANY OF YOU MADE IT AND IF SO WHATS A GOOD WAY TO LEARN MY SELF THE PROCESS? THANKS

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I checked out a web site on making your own from veg. oil. I read all the stuff ,Just wasnt brave enough to click on the 'order now 'tosee what the price would be,I knowof one guy in the county that does do this ,have not heard of any probs yet.

3. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i havent made any as of yet, but i have read a lot ,and gone to several web sites to read their forums. and that what i advise you to do. the process is involved but it can be learned.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm not sure what the federal or state regulations are but I doubt they let you make a whole lot.
    You'll be cutting them out of their road tax money.:smile2:

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I don't make bio-diesel but I do burn the used veggie oil in my power stroke and I find the engine runs smoother do to better lubrication from the oil and from talking to some diesel people it also adds a little more hp to the engine because it burns a little hotter then regular diesel fuel. I have noticed my truck has a little faster torgue now and I'm getting a little better fuel mileage. I also installed a complete Banks power pack on my truck which in itself added 120 hp to the engine. The veggie fuel costs me about .45 cents a gallon to make. I've burned about 175 gallons in my truck so far and have only possitive things to say about it.

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Mark is right about the feds wanting their cut. Have done a bit of research on this and it seems they are starting to hand out fines. Don't know if it was for personal use or what. Anyway just be careful.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    You guys are right...seen it on the news. The feds caught a guy near here making his own biodiesel and charged him a bunch of taxes. They said they were working out a payment plan so that he could repay the government a little at a time. Uncle Sam doesn't like you taking money out of his pocket. Last time I heard, a lot of diesel engine manufacturers aren't allowing the use of biodeisel, so that could affect your warranty (if your vehicle is under warranty).

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They'll put a tight clamp on it for a few reasons.
    Loss of revenue is one and there are already murmurs of creating a use tax before the alternative fuels make their way on to the scene in more prominence. You would be taxed on the miles you drive.
    The government is going to get theirs one way or the other.

The other is enviromental. They aint going to stand for backyard fuel kitchens popping up everywhere.

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hmmm, modern day revenuers clampin down on the poor man for makin somethin they cant tax. Sounds vaguely familiar.:eek:oooh:

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Cummings and International are the two biggest diesel engine manufactures and Ford owns Cummings, they don't care if you use bio-diesel or not because its a legal fuel. Total state an fed taxes on a gallon of fuel at the pump is about .45 to .50 cents so this man really had to make a lot more fuel then one man could use to be fined so much as to have to make payments on the fine.
    Used veg oil is not bio-diesel and you can buy bio-diesel at some truck stops. There's a few bio-diesel refineries I know are in Indiana and Texas but you get less mpg on that stuff plus it costs about 1.25 times as much as regular diesel. I've tried it in my truck. I also looked into using it on my farm but I couldn't afford it over regular diesel fuel which is now $3.25 a gallon around here for off road fuel. Thats also why cattle feed and everything else made from corn is going sky high, those refineries are buying all the corn crops they can get to make bio-diesel because our gov has people brain washed that bio-diesel is better for the enviroment which it is not.

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Has anyone ever tried to use this as a heat source? I have a torpedo heater that runs on kerosine, and it seems as if kerosine is pretty high dollar these day, along with everything else. Anyway there are still some fuel oil furnaces around, and those kerosun heaters. Inquiring minds would like to know. Later Andy

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm thinking of making some liquid out of corn. :eek:oooh: If my truck won't burn it, I'll drink it!!!!!!!!!:smile2::wink::smile2:

13. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    How about this one guys---as you saw from a earlier picture, Sara and I have a kettle Corn wagon.. The company that I WAS buying a 1000lbs at a time from just informed us that we are no longer able to buy from. ConAgra has contracted for all the corn they can raise. At 3.00 a hundred over going market price...And I was already paying $36.00 per 100lbs + freight of 297.00.
    for a total of $567.00 per load. The price on you Post Tosties just exploded. Are We Having Fun Yet?

14. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys I appreciate all your advice!!

15. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Ford does not own cummins.

16. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    A friend of mine that owns a Dodge with a Cummins diesel engine which he was having some problems with had a Cummings rep come to look at his engine because the dealer couldn't get it fixed told Steve that Ford had bought Cummins out.

17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Unless they sold it, Ford did own a good size piece of Cummins.

18. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Ford did at one time own a 49% share of cummins. But cummins bought it back some years ago.

If you google it you can find it all out.
    I have had this discussion a few different times.

19. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Diesel engines will run straight vegetable oil like you cook with. There is a company starting in Arkansas that has been running his diesel truck on vegetable oil for a long time. The only problem with some vegetable oils is that when they get cold they get thicker. If you are burning vegetable oil you might have to find a way to keep the tank heated.

20. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    First off. They make ethanol with corn. They make bio diesel form vegtable oil, corn,soybean, canola, palm kernal ect.

Second the price of corn isnt sky high just because of aternative fuel use. IE ethanol and bio diesel. Corn is sky high because of many factors. One and the biggest reason. World wide demand is high and world wide supply is lower than normal. Also the dallor is weak so corn is cheaper to foriegn countries than it is when the dallor is strong.

Bio fuels has also helped the price out. The reason bio fuels have increased is becaus ehte farmer is tired of taking it in the shorts on price. So we went out and created a demand for our products. Ie bio diesel and ethanol. The price of our grain goes up we make money government dont have to subsidize us. You non farmers dont have to pay tax to keep us from going broke. I know I have been farming for 20 years.

By the way post tosties only contain about 4 cents worth of corn when the price was 2.50 a bushel. So that would mean that at 5 a bushel it would contain 8 cents of corn. If your cereal is costing alot more than normal it is the cost of transportation and the grocer making more money from you to cover his expenses.
    JMHO