Binoculars for fishing: help me choose

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by C2catfish, Dec 27, 2005.

1. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    I'm looking for a good pair of binoculars to keep on the boat. I know you brothers will show me the way. I've done a search for binoculars, but didn't find anything specific.

I would use these for all the obvious, but mostly for locating bait flipping on the surface and birds diving for bait.

Some of my questions are:

Compact?.... I'm thinking "yeah", for the boat.

Water resistant or waterproof?.....I don't know if they make waterproof.

expensive?.... I'm thinking my budget might be $100.00 for some really good ones, but I don't want to ever have to buy another pair.

If I'm armed with the knowledge from you guys, what about perusing my local pawn shops?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well I dont know much about Binoculars but that is a great idea, I've been trying to get some myself. May I suggest ebay, you might find a awesome deal on ebay.

Take it easy, Zakk :)

3. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    If you have any questions about binoculars, this guy is the master. You can give him a call and he will answer all your questions and explain in depth about which binoculars would best suit your uses. I would want waterproof ones for fishing or hunting. I don't have a good set of binoculars but I do carry a waterproof monocular in my pocket while hunting.Link To Binoculars There is a phone number at the bottom of the page to give them a call. Abu

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The way I jugfish on the Arkansas River, binoculars are an absolute necessity. Here are some things to consider:
    1. Things get knocked around on my boat, so I'm hesitant to invest a lot of money in expensive binoculars, even though they have features that are really nice. I've broken the small lens in one set already.
    2. They do make waterproof binoculars. They also make marine binoculars that have an internal 'dampening' feature to help keep the image still, even though you're on a boat that's going up and down with the waves.
    3. While small binoculars are definitely easier to store, they're generally harder to use. Large binoculars generally have a wider field of view, and a larger objective lens, which means it gathers more light so you can see better in dim light.
    4. Personally, I don't want to spend extra money to buy small binoculars that won't do the job for me as well as larger ones. On the other hand, I will spend a little extra money to buy, say, a 7X50 rather than a 7X35; or a 10X50 rather than a 7X50. On the large waters I fish, I am often trying to look at something a mile or more away, so light gathering capability and greater magnification are a big asset.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Bushnell makes a very good "Boat" binocular called the H2O I think.Its about 100$ or less.Go to their website.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I had a pair of Alpen's that I have been using until my fishing partner dropped them in the boat this week and broke something, so I'm in the market for a new pair, too. I think I'll check out the Bushnell that you mentioned, Jim. I remember looking at them some time back at Boater's World, maybe, and thought they were pretty good for the money. I'd like to have some more expensive, image stabilizing ones, but those are too rich for my blood and needs.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Seen the Fujinon Gyro controlled binoculars?
    Keeps a stable sight picture by utilizing 2 direct drive motors and a gyro.
    Just a tad over 5 grand but they would be good on a boat for sure.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Lol...and I thought my old pair of Steiners were expensive. I paid $400 ten years ago, and they're still kickin'. It sucked shelling out the bucks...but the sting has worn off after 10 years. It sure is nice to have them when you need them. $400 isn't a bad investment when they will last a lifetime if handled correctly.

A friend of mine has Swarovski binocs....can't go wrong there either.

9. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    I've been using the Bushnell 10x40 National Aububon Society model for about 10 years. They have rubber cups on the viewing lenses for those of us that wear glasses. I keep them dry in a plastic case. I rate them highly. I don't know the cost at today's prices.