Binder for home made dip bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Dirtdobber, May 29, 2009.

1. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    What do you use for binder (thickener) when you make home made dip bait?
    I have used flour, cornstarch and cottonseed meal.

2. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have used flour ,it works prety good

3. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    all the stuff you mention are good.some people use corn mealpowdered milk anything that is dry and absorbs liquied
    Loop

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Powered milk cost to much to use for fish bait. Save it for gravy.:smile2:

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    find you a pond or lake that has some cattails and use those.Open those babys up and use the stuffin out of them,that will work,will thicken it up and make it like a punch bait.or take cotton balls and shred then real fine in there.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Crush a box of Wheaties up real good, I like mixing 1/2 and 1/2 mix with any other ingredients,

I like to take DRY cat-chow or Ole Roy dog food grind it up pretty good in a blender, put in mixing bowl add 1/2 the amout of water, let absorb into whatever you ground up, which will expand some after a while.

Add wheaties mixing well together adding little amounts of water or anything you want for liquid, fish oil in the cat-chow or some canned ole roy in the dog food??? etc.. mix untill you have the right consistency to stay put when wrapped around the hook,You'll figure it out.. As it dries some while fishing add water.

This is some sticky stuff,, do not wipe on cloths, it hardens up like concrete.LOL.. Smokes farm raised channels:wink:

Cream corn and wheaties--Spinach and wheaties are killer carp bait.:cool2:

Have Fun:smile2::smile2:

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Sorry Guys , I thought I was posting it in the other thread about dough bait,,:eek:oooh:

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Long fine animal hair works OK too. Angora cat, rabbit etc works best. So go brush your cat.
    have a good 1
    just

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    They originally used cattails in Danny King's Punch Bait. I'd say that is your best bet.

10. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Toilet paper works good too. I tried cotton balls once, but they didn't break up enough.

11. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri

Is that what it is? i was wondering what that was I just used DK's today for the first time with good results..it looks like insulation to me.what ever it is,it makes it stay on the hook thats for sure...love it

12. catdaddychad

catdaddychad New Member

State:
    indiana
    cattails is the ticket. When my DK gets runny I carry a little bag of cattails with me and mix it in.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    For punch bait you can't beat cattails for a binder.

14. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Baby food oatmeal, works good, as stated cat tail duff or seed, is at the top of the line.
    Jim

15. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Be careful where you pull out cattails as some are protected under federal wetland programs from the state. Get caught "destroying" native plant life in these areas and get fined. I usually use lint from the dryer, it works well and is free.