Bimini Tops what do you think of em?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kitsinni, Jan 18, 2010.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was considering getting a Bimini Top for my tracker pro guide V-16 SC. I have never had one but it seems like it would be nice in the summer to keep the sun off you. What do you guys think of em? Can you move with them up or do you have to take them down every time? Are the poles typically pretty strong or does strong wind pull them down? Are they effective for keeping the rain off? Any pros or cons?

2. I couldn't live without mine. They are pretty sturdy, I have ran over 20 mph with them up, seem like they can handle more. Never trailer with it open. must be sceured well for that and closed. I use it all summer to keep the sun off me and my tackle, etc. Does ok in the rain until the wind picks up or you have to move. Get one tall enough to walk under, believe me.

The only cons I have found are on windy days trying to stay anchored and still, they act like a sail and really blow the boat around. And when landing or fighting a fish they can get in the way sometimes. I also use mine in the winter. The heat from the propane heater rises and hits the top and kinda creates a little bit of a hot air ballon effect until it pours out the sides, but definately makes a difference keepin warmer.

I also hang the kids towels on the top, inside frame sections to dry when were are swimming. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2010

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I've had two and would be lost without it, I had mine custom made because I own a SeaArk Procat 240 nobody had one for it, but mine has all poles none of the straps covers from the front of the windshield to behind the seats, when it is raining it keeps you dry unless the wind is crankin, I can runn 50 mph with mine up and does not faulter, the guys that built mine tested it on the interstate, one guy drove the truck the owner of the company rode in the boat as they were hauling down the interstate at 65 mph so it is built well, netting fish can be a pain but we have adapted to it, I'll have to post pictures later and show you both boats that we had made.........Doc

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great replies guys just the type of info I was looking for.

5. One more thing bud. A buddy of mine and me have been pondering ways to make easy to attach sides so 1 or two sides can be covered. They sell grommet kits and tools for a few bucks, very cheap. Run some grommets along the sides of the bimini, and using climbers clips can easily clip on and off a vynil side piece, or heck, even plain clear $2 shower curtain! ;)

6. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I hava a BP TV18 with a 115 hp on it and I can run down the lake full bore with it up!! I will NEVER be without one again, they will allow you to stay on the water all day if its hot and you are fresh when you come in cuz ya didn't get hot, the shade is the BOMB:glasses-cool:

7. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I got my first one just last year, bought it in the winter time for almost half the price that they sell for in the summer time off of an ebay company that had a "make offer" listing, and used it 2 times that I went all day fishing on a hot sunny day and LOVED it, its defanently where the both of us wanted to be.
    and again on a family boating day with 3 boats together and all in a cove swimming arround the girls and kids all gathered under the only boat that had the sun shade top, my sisterinlaw said that she had never been under one before and wasent too eager to get under it, but once she did she said she didnt realize how much more comfortable it would be while sitting still

dont get a short one, get the longest one possable to cover the most area.
    completely removable in less than 5 minnets.

for anyone that has a camp boat DONT get hunter green color!!!
    it dont match ANY camo colors at all,,, I seen one on 2 diffrent camo boats and asked about them and confermed the "hunter green" wished they'd picked another color

8. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Here's a picture of my top on my 2001 Smokercraft, I'm 6 foot and I can stand under this thing made it wide enough that the water would roll off the top and out beyond the gunnels so it didn't splash back up on you, it has all poles as braces no straps, I don't have any pictures of the one on my 2009 SeaArk but it is a tad bit tougher to put up than the SmokerCraft top the SeaArk top is also 6 foot long and almost 8 foot wide the Smoker was 5 foot and only 6 foot wide................Doc

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  9. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I have a 19 foot Starcraft CC with a nice bimini top out in the barn under a few inches of pigeon poop. I always felt like the top was in the way when fishing and besides I felt like a sissy cruising around with it. Of course that was before I got skin cancer and cataracts.