Bimini Top

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by fish_head, Aug 17, 2009.

1. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey I got a new boat, and I am in need of some shade so I can get some folks to go fishing with me. I am considering putting a 6' long by 45"? tall bimini top on it. I fish for cats and bass, or whatever the kids say in it (a Tracker 175 TXW).
    My question- will the top be a problem, casting, fishing, etc? I never have used one so I am not sure. :confused2:
    I am getting ready to install driftmaster rod holders and get it all outfitted. I have learned a lot from you guys and gals here.
    Thanks for the help!

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Not as long as you leave somewhere on the boat uncovered..

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use to fish with a top on my fish-n-ski all the time. its nice to get out of the direct sunlight some times. not much of a problem at all but it will be in the way from time to time but the up side to it out weighs by far. not only can you get the family to sit longer and the ability to get out of the direct sun light from time to time but also stick out a passing rain with out looking like a drowned rat and still fish. way more ups to it. go for it you will not regret it at all.

4. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Shade on both boats. Never go without it.

Made and makes what would be a miserable afternoon enjoyable.

5. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    i must agree with the other guys, while the goods out weigh the bads by far it will at times be in the way.

6. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Yep, I agree. If you get one though, spend the money and get the premium top from Cabelas or one similar. Most of the cheaper tops have plastic hardware that will break sooner or later (probably sooner). I have a Lowe 1860VPT and put the cabelas premium top on it. I bought the 4 bow- 8' long - 54" high and it covers the whole center of the boat, leaving the front and rear decks open. I would recommend this top. All stainless steel hardware, comes complete, ready to install with storage boot. You will need a couple of extra hands when you install it.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    One of the best things I ordered with the new boat last year. Mine is tall enough to allow me to stand under it I'm 6ft and I think the top on my boat is 6ft 4"
    Mine is mounted on the T Track on each side.This allows me to move it around. I control drift fish out of it. Can fish 3 under mine and have done it a few times.
    Scoot it forward and fish out of the back using the rod holders. Or move it towards the back when I'm controlled drift fishing. My boat is a tiller boat .

I would not do without the shade anymore. Shoot I even have a 12 volt fan for those 100+ degree days. makes live nice.
    Pete

8. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I appreciate the answers, y'all. That's what I wanted to know. Kinda needed some ammo to justify spending more on it... :eek:oooh: