Bimini top- is it worth getting?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Bream baiter, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm planning to order a new boat Saturday and I have been thinking about getting a Bimini top for protection from the sun and to make drizzly days more pleasant to fish. Are they much of a hassle to put up and take down? What is max speed that a boat should be ran with the top up? Do you think I should get one for the boat?

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I was on Big Eli's boat at the Ohio Gathering at GMR and it was a life saver. He has a pontoon. Was nice to be out of direct sunlight. It was easy to put up and down.

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I had one custom built for my Smokercraft, the one that came with the boat was a major hastle to put up, folded up when we were on the move, it snapped down on the windshield and those clips always come flying off, my custom one has poles on both the front and back instead of the straps, holds the unit rock solid, I'm 6 foot and can stand under it even with a hat on, have had no complaints so far with the unit very pleased with it, came with a 5 year warrenty also................Doc

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    DANG, I thought the thread said BIKINI TOP.......:eek:oooh:

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Forecast tomorrow: High of 98, wind s-w 0-5mph, heat index 108....

YES, YES YES!!!! I wouldn't trade mine for a brand new boat.

6. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Check out this rig my buddy designed. The umbrella simply sits in a PVC pipe... he built the frame so a PVC pipe slides over his boat seat pedestal and then pieces stick out the sides to support the PVC the umbrella sits in.

Attached Files:

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I have a couple of friends that have bimini tops and they love them. One of them told me last weekend that he can run wide open with the top up. He has a 90 horse so I would guess speeds of 30+ mph. The only problem I see with a bimini top is the ability to cast with it up. It seems that you give up quite a bit of overhead space. My two friends don't do much R&R fishin so it doesn't bother them much. There is no doubt that shade is your friend during the summer but you may want to consider how much of your boat you cover when you put a top on it.

I have an umbrella mount on my steering console and it is a snap to raise, lower, and take apart. It doesn't provide as much shade and I can't run with it in the raised position, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. It looks similar to the pic that rsimms posted.

8. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I thought it said bikini top to and if you got to choose go with the bikini bottom

9. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    i have one and it's worth every cent

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I had a boat rigged to use 2 umbrellas like that once. A freak gust of wind came along, snatched both of them out of the boat and into the water about 40 feet away, and I can tell you how fast they both went down in the current. They were gone before I could even begin to loose the anchor line. :lol: If you use them, be sure to put a pin through, or something to secure them.

11. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I put one up on my tracker 16 footer, i can run @ 30 mph and don't have any problems with putting it up or taken it down. The only problem is as joe says casting and setting the hook you lose some overhead space, but well worth the funds and the lost fish IMO

12. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I made a PVC frame and use an umbrella. I also lost one to a gust of wind. Only mine probably flew over 100 feet before hitting the water.

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You Won't Be Dissapointed When You Get One, You'll Get Used To "passing" Your R&R Thru The Uprights In Short Order.

I Have A T-Top On My Boat But If I Didn't Have That, There Would Be A Bimini On It

14. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Money well spent, I don't use mine much in the winter but it stays on in the summer.

15. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tim, where did you get your top made at? Do these tops catch a lot of wind? Been thinking about getting one. I use an umbrella now once in while.

16. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Absolutely get a bimini top if you fish alot in the day time. Overtons www.overtons.com sells about any style you may want. "Tops" are like "cooks." Some are considerable better than others...The weight of the cover material and how it is attached is important. The best frames are made of 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 inch tube for most general use. Anything bigger is redundant, anything smaller won't last.

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    We've been giving our general opinions, but I didn't think to ask what kind/size boat you are buying. I mean, a bimini may not be too practical on a 14' jon boat, and then again if you're getting a 20' center console model, a t-top might be better.

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have one and use it every day I fish in summer.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Take your boat out on Santee the next 100 deg day and sit out there for 8-10 hrs.Make sure there is no wind.Come back and ask the question again?:big_smile: I have a 21 ft center console and wouldn't be without mine summer or winter.I can cast front or rear no problem and all my rod holders are outside the top.Pays to put it up and adjust its position BEFORE you mount the rod holders.BIMINIS generally give more cover than a T-top and can be mounted on rails so you can move it some from front to rear.I can go 55mph on my boat and have done so with the top up but normally cruise at 35 with no problem.If you think it will be a problem then unhook the front straps and fold it back on itself.That way you can run with it up but not deployed and it takes 15 secs to deploy it when you stop.Get the best you can afford and a good coating of waterproofing is a good idea also.I have met plenty of folks that wished they had one but nobody yet that wished they didn't.:big_smile: :lol: :wink: :smile2:

20. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Whats with all this setting of hooks... CIRCLE HOOKS... lol makes Bimini's that much better.... :wink: