BIMI TOPS

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catoon, Feb 7, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    me and my wife get real hot in the summer while fishing in our boat.i was wondering what the pros and cons on a bimi top. any ides would help

2. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    :eek:oooh:
    Im getting one, one day!

Moons of Miami!:eek:oooh::crazy:

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mmm... Well, shade is nice, and with the UV/skin cancer thing, darn near a necessity. Nice in a brief shower too.

On the down side, depending on your boat and the size of the top, they can get in the way of casting and slamming a hook home.

Biminis can be had pretty cheap and will set down out of your way when you don't need 'em. Just make sure they are dry before/if you leave them down between trips. (mildew)

Been a while since I had one, so I don't know about the newer fabrics.

On account of the type of boat I have,(cuddy) I am looking at building a small hard top over the helm station(s). But may go Bimini. Decisions, decisions...

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Is BIMI short for bimini? Never heard that one before bro.

If you have a pontoon boat, a bimini top DOES come in handy at times; if someone needs to get out of the sun on a clear day, or for a shower.

A bimini top CAN keep you from achieving top speeds (depending on your motor), if it is UP when you're underway. Anything can that's fighting the direction of the wind......

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have a 16 foot by 48 inch fisher bass boat with a lil 40 horse nissan

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It ought to help you on a starboard tack.

7. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    whats a starboard tack boss

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Wind across the starboard (right for landlubbers) side.
    Tacking: Changing direction by turning into the wind.
    Windward: The direction the wind is coming from, upwind.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    thks boss

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have one on my Lund 1825 Pro Guide. And can fish 3 under it with ease. Mine is the tall model. I can stand up under it It has around 6ft 7" from the floor to the top. I fished in 100 degree weather back in August with it. Hooked up a little fan to move air. Was nice and would not do without it again.
    But do not buy the low model. AS if you do you can't stand under it. See how high your sides of the boat is, then how high the top is and add them to see if its high enough to fish under.
    Pete

11. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    richard, i bought a mantis umbrella for my summertime fishing excursions. it is mounted on the bow of my 16 ft express where i do all my fishing while driftin. these are expensive and well built sunshades. fully adjustable and will provide ample shade on those hot days. when not in use i store it in my dry box. if i had it to do over i think i would go with a cheaper umbrella like basspro or cabelas sells. the mantis is ok but for the money that they cost i could have bought a nice rod and reel combo and an umbrella.

12. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Richard, get your wife one of those sailor hats like you wear and ya'll should be good to go. A lot cheaper too! :smile2: LOL

13. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    I got 1 and will never own a boat without 1 again you will love it !!!!!!!!!!!!! Im a big fat guy and anything over 85 degrees is HOT to me but once the top is up and your in the shade it feels 20 degrees cooler and if there is a little breeze its awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink::wink:
    also comes in handy when it rains , I truely love mine !!!

true it takes a little getting use to on casting under it but its no big deal .

worth every penny ya spend on it .........

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i fished on 3 different boats with the bimini tops, 2 with t-tops, and one with the bimini t-top

i really did not like the bimini, lots of shade but took way too much fishing room

LOVED the t-tops, only draw backs are price and its always up. that would not be good if you had to park in a garage or had to go under low bridge to fish somewhere

i liked the bimini tee top. it is foldaway t-top. not too expensive and seemed as durable as any bimini top i have been around. if my boat was smaller i would have one

I opted for the t-top (k-top actually) i went with 5x7' it was kinda expensive but i really want it for the shade and it doesnt take away from fishability of my boat

15. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Can ya post a pic of a "k-top"? I am unclear as to what you are referring.

thanks

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    And for you Richard , red pullover shirt with white pants.
    If you mount the bimini at a 10 degree cant towards starboard it's going to help you out top speed wise. You'll shed the wind resistance real quick.

If you mount it 0 degrees or less you'll have a heeling problem on a boat that narrow. You'll look like a catamaran on a hard tack that just lost a sponson. It's all over over but the drying out.

What I recommend you do is hire one of the folks that seals boat wood with Thompson's water sealer or paint to install it for you.

17. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Son has one on his 12' small boat, last year his 5hp mtr quit, his little elect would not keep him going against the wind towards shore. He had to put the top down and break out the paddle. They sure do catch the wind. I didn't like fishing under it, too much for the poles to bump into. I rigged a home made holder on the back of my swivel seat for a cheap beach umbrella which is then out of my way which ever way I turn. For my grandson I got a umbrella rig at walmart which is made to clamp on the arm of your folding chair, works great on the boat seat frame.
    Luck
    Oldtimr

18. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I dont have any pics on my computer of my boat since the work was done. The "k-top" looks just like t-top but attaches to center console instead of the floor of the boat. they can only do it with certian styles of consoles that have enuff screws/bolts into floor and thick enuff to hold up

19. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've used the bimini tops for a while now. used to get picked on a lot by guys saying you couldn't fish with them up. They can be a bit of a problem to negotiate around, but if it is raining or snowing, it keeps the worst off ya. These same guys seen this and stopped picking on me for it when we would show back up at the ramp at the end of the day with me being dry for the most part.

I've got a 6' slider rail on mine that i can move it forward or backward. This helps to gain some room when fishing. It sure keeps the sun off ya on those hot summer days also. Planning on adding side curtains and front and back curtains for winter fishing that I can remove when needed. Will make those cold days a little more bearable with a little heater inside.

20. EZ Duzit

EZ Duzit New Member

State:
    Dothan, Al
    I cant pass this up. Check out the Umbrella EZ Mount that we have as a sponsor and ask our great leader (Catfish comando) about our product before you buy a BIMI top to fish under.:wink:
    Proud Sponser of the Great BOC.
    LPW Enterprises Inc.
    www.umbrellae-zmount.com

Attached Files: